leeks from last years seed heads

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeks from last years seed heads

Has anyone grown leeks from the grasslike sprouts on leek seed heads. I,ve transplanted quite a few from a leek I left to go to seed last year. Do they come true to variety,and do they grow ok when planted out? I have put them in modules,is this ok? I would appreciate any info provided on this as I have never attempted this before.thank you.

Growing leeks from grass or pips is what's known as a form of vegetative propagation. The resultant plants should be exact clones of the parent plant. They will grow on just fine but it is best to give them a soak in a solution of bleach. I use the thick domestos kind in a solution of 50 parts water to one bleach. leave them in that overnight. The idea is to kill off any pathogens so that your plants don't rot from fungal diseases and the likes. Starting them off in modules is great. keep them in full light and if possible, keep them in a warm place as well

Comment

Thanks for the info,Aberdeenplotter, would putting them in an unheated propogator on the spare bedroom windowcill be ok?

Comment

They should be ok but won't grow as quickly as they would with heat. make sure you turn them frequently as being on a windowsill, they will grow towards the light and youdon't want them to be bent

Comment

Aberdeenplotter

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          They should be ok but won't grow as quickly as they would with heat. make sure you turn them frequently as being on a windowsill, they will grow towards the light and youdon't want them to be bent
          thanks for the info, looking forward to some nice leeks!!

Comment

Originally posted by youngdigger View Post
            Has anyone grown leeks from the grasslike sprouts on leek seed heads.
            Yes, but I'm lazier than AP.

Rather than fiddle with the "grass", I prefer to shake the seed heads onto the soil, then transplant the baby leeks in the spring. It's less work.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X