Leeks from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks from seed

As this is my first year at growing almost everything I followed timings from a book bought for me by my MIL!

That said the leeks were sown on new years day in an unheated pot no cover nothing! To my suprise I think every seed must have germinated so what do I do now?

Do I leave them or seperate them and pot on in indivdual pots? how big and when can I plant out?

I love leeks........ But may have over sown
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

They can go out when about pencil thickness, when you plant them out just push a bar 6" into the soil, drop the leek in & just water them in. Don't fill the hole with compost as you would other plants.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

mine came up on the sparebed window cill heating turned off in that room i moved them to my home greenhouse (unheated) 4 days ago just checked earlier and they seem ok reason i moved was for more light . i used empty grape containers to germinate in as there quite deep and seem to get good root growth i will leave them now till i plant down the lottie probably late march early april i dont pot them on and they grow fine, or they did last year

Comment

If there is room for them in the pot, just let them grow on for now. If however there are clearly too many plants for the size of the plot, prick some out into pots or cell trays.

Comment

If as AP says they're going to be quite congested then either thin them out a bit or wait until they get a bit bigger and transplant them in clumps into more pots or the ground or you'll never get them to pencil thickness in a million years . Sowed my first lot yesterday so will have to wait a while.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Don't ask me, I'm rubbish at leeks.

Mind you, if you're all sowing now, maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Will try and sow shortly.
            Garden Grower
            Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Same here Jacob. Mine from last year are still in the ground as they're not much bigger than pencil thickness. Maybe 'marker pen thickness' would be the right description for them

Comment

Marker pen, yep, that's my best ones... Last year, when I finally gave up and ate the pencil sized ones, several had formed little bulbs (no, they weren't onions).

I'm going to try this sowing in February tactic though.
                Garden Grower
                Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X