Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing Recently Divided Rhubarb?

Hi all,

What's the thought on forcing rhubarb that I've only divided this winter?

The divisions were from long established roots and have taken no problem. In fact they growing above the ground already.

Rhubarb is my favourite harvest of the year, so would love to hurry it up, but should I leave well alone??
    Last edited by Jono; 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

I'd perhaps force 1 and leave the other.

Rhubarb is pretty indestructible. Just chuck it on the ground and it grows.

That reminds me I need to force some of the ones at the community garden...we are just going to pop a dalek over the top.

Comment

I think I probably wouldn't, because it will need its energy to grow new roots. Unless you have lots of it, and can risk it weakening the plant?

Comment

LOL Gotta love gardening for the completely opposite opinions

Comment

I would leave it to grow this year and then force some next year. I have three crowns and force one each year and then leave it to grow with out pulling any for the rest of the year to build up its strength.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I wouldn't force it this year, let it establish properly. Also don't take too much from the plants this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              LOL Gotta love gardening for the completely opposite opinions
              Yeah - I force our 1 rhubarb every year and it always gives us enough for a gallon or two of wine which is all we need or want! In fact, it permanently has 4 tyres around it and a pallet on the top to keep the light out.

Comment

Thanks all. Think I'll leave it.

Agree with it being indestructible. This was the first time I have needed to divide any rhubarb, and I cut the root right down. I was worried when I then read that I should have left much more on there but they've all taken without complaint.
                Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

indestructable,yes but let it recover afterwards,to overcrop and kill a rhubarb? to lose that beautiful taste,that would be a shame.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X