Seed Onions.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Onions.

Hi, This is my first post query. I have some Kelsae onion seed which germinated indoors 1 week ago in 5ins Rootrainers, 1 seedling per cell. My question is can they remain in the Rootrainers until ready for planting out at the allotment in April/May, or should I transplant into say 9cm pots? Any advice much appreciated.

They should be fine in the roottrainers for quite a while. Whereabouts are you, as this can have quite a bearing on when to plant out.

Comment

Originally posted by Travellers View Post
      Hi, This is my first post query. I have some Kelsae onion seed which germinated indoors 1 week ago in 5ins Rootrainers, 1 seedling per cell. My question is can they remain in the Rootrainers until ready for planting out at the allotment in April/May, or should I transplant into say 9cm pots? Any advice much appreciated.
      Hi Travellers,

onion seedlings seem to do best when the roots are in contact with the side of the pots they are growing in so don't be in too much of a hurry to pot them on. Just make sure they are in good light and try to keep them at a minimum of 50ºf as that is the minimum temperature they need to keep growing. Don't however allow the plants to become rootbound and pot them on in to a good compost when needed.

Comment

Hi, i'm in north yorkshire.
        thanks for your response.

Comment

Planting some onion seeds my self today never done them from seed before hope they turn out ok.
          come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

Hi, Aberdeenplotter, Many thanks for your response, will do as you suggest.

Comment

Hey Travellers Can't add anything to APs advice, just wanted to say welcome to the forum from a fellow North Yorkshirian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X