Asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus

Been thinking about growing some from seed - can't really afford to buy crowns, although may do! T&M have an offer of 25 crowns (of 5 varieties) for about £22.

However seed is cheaper and a variety called Asparagus Argenteuil apparently can be cut in year two.

Does anyone grow asparagus and can recommend varieties? Does anyone know any hints and tips?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Ta, I liked the sound of 'purple pacific' they're one of the 5 from T&M. But really I wondered how difficult they are to grow from seed - so much cheaper. If its straightforward can't really justify paying lots for crowns.

Comment

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/rkm...CODE=1080-6056

If you have the patience, they take three year to establish as crowns, so you could be waiting four years before taking your first harvest.
      Last edited by Lesley Jay; 06-04-2006, 11:17 AM.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Smallblueplanet when I bought my onion sets from the garden centre they were selling asparagus crowns along side the sets. They weren't expensive at all in fact they were cheap compared to some of the prices I have seen and I am quite tempted to go back and buy some myself. I have just had a look at which company sold the onions sets and it is Taylors Bulbs. Holbeach, Lincs. Might be worth seeing if they have a web site.

To grow from seed you need to sow the seed in February or March and maintain a temperature of 60-70 F during germination and while the seedlings develope. Pot them on and harden off. Plant out the following year into final position in April.
        [

Comment

Thanks LJ - I've seen Taylors packs 4 sale on ebay, unsurprisingly never very cheaply!

We might go for the seed anyway cos it meens the bed doesn't have to be ready this year, helps with all the other things that need doing!

I still like the sound of Asparagus d'Argenteuil (seeds of italy sell them) - anyway I have a hankering for French/mediterranean things. I say its part of the acclimatisation process, maybe one day we'll get a place in sw France!

Comment

Asparagus from seed

HI

I've grown asparagus from seed and it was reallly very easy. I don't have a heated greenhouse but got almost 100% germination rate last year (and even with some I chanced the year before, sowing in November!)

If you are prepared to wait (and especially if that's an advantage!) I would go for it.

Hardy

Comment

Thanks Hardy, what type did you grow? How did you pot them up/on?

I was thinking of starting them in quarter trays and either potting them up into pots or half trays, or even leave them in the 1/4 trays, and overwinter them before planting out the next year, what do you think?

Comment

Out of interest, what is the smallest space you can grow them in and can they be grown in pots? And if so, how big? Always wanted to grow it but don't have the space in my beds.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I guess you could Andrew, but it would need a pretty big pot to be worthwhile. They might dry out too quickly in a pot as well.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

You dont need to leave crowns 4 years before harvesting. You leave them the first season, take a very very light harvest the second and crop as usual in the third year. Our neighbours have done really well under this regime and he now has 2 beds of them, both conovers collosal and very prolific they are indeed.

Comment

Andrewo - I think you would be ok in a 10- 12ins pot - probably the latter as the roots like to spread out. Worth a try in pots....our local garden centre sold them at 1/2 price in sept and they would be ok to take the odd one the following year.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Smallblue planet

I grew Convers Collosal and Mary Washington from seed.

I started them off by sowing 12 seeds in one small pot - I didn't expect a very high germination rate but out of 36 sown I have 34 plants!

I pricked them out into small individual pots then potted them up into 1L pots, which is where they still are, waiting to be planted out. They all produced ferns last summer and some are even producing spears already in the cold frame! But I don't think I should leave them any longer in pots that size - the roots are coming out of the bottom. Just need to find the time to get that bed prepared...

I hope you do well!
                        Hardy

Comment

Thanks H.

Are going to grow male & female plants, or all male like the new varieties you see for sale?

I was thinking if I started enough seeds I could then pick out the male plants and only grow those. But perhaps the bees and the birds would appreciate a mix for pollen & berries?

Comment

How long do they last for SBP. I know that they need to be 3 or 4 years old to Force for an early crop & then they are scrap. Do normal plants have a productive life? If they did you could sow a few every year or two and have a constant supply.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Andrewo - I think I would review the idea of a 12" pot as I read over the weekend that they have deep roots.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X