Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apples still on the tree

Hi

I have had two dwarf apple trees in pots in the front garden for three years that bore fruit for the first time this year.

Each tree has two apples.

I was waiting for them to start to drop before picking the others, but they are still tightly attached. I have probably left them too long to pick now as we have had several nightrs of sub-zero temperatures already.

My question is - should I harvest them now, or is it better for the tree to leave them and remove them after winter?

Thanks

Andy
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

I can't see that leaving them on will do the tree any good. I would remove them (carefully) now. What variety are they?

Comment

What to do depends on the variety.

Some fall off naturally, while some stay on all winter.

Summer apples tend to fall off at the slightest excuse - many of those (and early-autumn windfalls) often have a maggot inside as the tree will tend to drop maggot-damaged fruits first, so take care with apples which fell off the tree.

Some types of apple will quite happily hang on through gales and frosts until the new year - and still be in perfect condition for eating as far out as Easter!

I suspect that these late-hanging apples inspired Christmas tree bauble decorations.

Comment

I too think it is better to remove them.

Do you know what varieties they are?

Comment

I would like to know which varieties they are aswell, there are lots of trees around where I live with huge crops of apples still clinging on to the otherwise bare branches and they look very pretty.
          http://seasonalfamilyrhythm.blogspot.co.uk/ - My new blog

Comment

Same here- all the leaves in the apple orchards have dropped- but still lots of apples on some of the trees!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I bet they're Cornish Aromatics

Comment

My green apples came down in the winds at weekend, but the reds are hanging on in there still - I keep meaning to look at the label so I can let you all know what variety they are, but I keep forgetting until it is too dark!

Just ate one of the green ones - very juicy and sweet, but not much bigger than a plum in size.

The label has come off the green apple tree so I can't give you a variety, but both trees are on M27 rootstocks and are planted in containers.

I can't remember the name for the form of the trees, but they are of the type that have a single trunk with minimal side branches and fruit is borne next to the trunk.

Andy
                http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I believe they are called Ballerina's

Comment

If they've been frosted can you make ice wine from them

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Take your pruners and cut them off at the stem. Now that it's cold I wouldn't pull them off because you might accidently take some branch bark with it.
                      The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                      Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                      tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanM View Post
                        I believe they are called Ballerina's
                        Yes, that does seem to ring a bell deep in the dusty vaults of my memory.

In my defence, I did buy them three or four years ago when I wasn't too bothered about forms or varieties.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
                          Take your pruners and cut them off at the stem. Now that it's cold I wouldn't pull them off because you might accidently take some branch bark with it.
                          I think I will leave them on until after Winter, at the moment they are showing no signs of wanting to drop naturally.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            If they've been frosted can you make ice wine from them
                            I might just about get half a small glass from them - there are only two fruit, and they are about the size of small plums

Andy

Comment

They'll make a nice snack for a hungry blackbird, I bet. Could they be crab apples?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X