which compost for growing chillies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which compost for growing chillies?

I was wondering which compost is a particularly 'good' one for growing chillies?

Last year I used Asda's compost, which was £2 for a 70 litre bag full!!!!

A good price, and my chillies did seem to grow ok.

I was wondering what everybody elses preferences were?

Are there noticeable differences between say Asda's own and an expensive miracle gro variety?

Thank you
    Last edited by chilli_grower; 14-11-2012, 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling error - again!

I use Asda MCP too. Results are usually good, I think this year's poor crops were more due to the weather than the compost.

Whichever brand of compost you buy you will need to feed the plants after about six weeks.

Comment

I don't use peat based composts on prinicple for any of my growing which rules out most of the supermarket ones. I grow quite a lot of chillies straight in the borders of the polytunnel but do have some in pots. They're normally sow, potted on and grown in New Horizon multi purpose with a bit of homemade compost thrown into the final pots and they do very well but as I'm sure you know, you do need to feed when fruiting to keep them going well.

With regards your question, if you're happy with the compost you bought then there probably isn't any reason for you to change, I don't find that price is necessarily a good indication of quality, there are rubbish expensive / cheap ones and likewise for good quality too. Sometimes you are paying for quality, other times you're paying for the name and I don't think the fact that some of them have additional food in them is a particularly good deal as you need to feed anyway before long.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I use asda compost for my chilli's as well but I make a "STRONGER " by addding john innes and peat, idea being if you get behind with the watering MP compost can cap so by adding the peat and JI this will hold onto the moisture a bit longer saves carting the chilli's outside and dumping into bucket of water to restore the wetting.I also add fertilizer to compost before planting
        Last edited by PAULW; 14-11-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I always use B&Q's compost for all my plants and have very good results (although I know that some of you haven't ....) including my chilli's and they always do well too

Comment

thanks for the replies.

I actually have a big barrel full of well rotted horse manure to use next year.

I will mix this with whatever compost I end up using - Asda's again probably!!!!

I also use chilli focus to feed the plants

Cheers

Comment

if your budget allows add some perlite ( you can buy 100 litre bags on eblag quite cheap)
              increases the drainage, chillis hate wet cold feet

Comment

yes will do, good idea. I have not used Perlite before....

Comment

Originally posted by The Large One View Post
                  if your budget allows add some perlite ( you can buy 100 litre bags on eblag quite cheap)
                  increases the drainage, chillis hate wet cold feet
                  Previously I haven't added anything for the purpose of drainage, but it sounds like a good idea. Would sand be OK to use?
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I have read somewhere that coarse builders sand would be acceptable for drainage.

Comment

Its good to use perlite and vermiculite
                      Perlite for drainage as already said
                      Vermiculite for water retention
                      normally a 10:1 mix of each so 10 parts compost to 1 part perlite amd 1 part verm this has been my chilli mix for the last 4 years and works well
                      Last edited by Shroomy; 19-02-2013, 09:07 AM.
                      My Wifes Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X