Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to pick sloeberries?

hi all,

I live in Cardiff, and was wondering where is a good place to pick sloe berries around here?

Normally I collect them from the sand dunes at Freshwater East beach in West Wales, but I won't be going down there for a while now.

I believe around now is the time to collect sloe berries?

I want them to make sloe gin .

Any help welcomed,

THank you

I haven't seen many sloes around this year. Used to pick some on Penarth headland towards Lavernock and in the Cwm at Marcross - haven't been to either this year so I don't know what its like!

Comment

maybe there will be some around caerphilly mountain and the wenallt area?????

I might take a look tomorrow

Comment

You'll be lucky this year - I've not seen 1.

Strangely enough - at our new community garden [see the linkie] - I found about 100 self-seeded sloe plants on Thursday - I had thought they were also damsons as we have about 250 of those but no - they are blackthorns/sloes.

Happy days.

Comment

THat's good about the plants.

Back in August, the sand dunes at Freshwater east beach in west wales were covered in sloes!!!!

But that is too early to pick them.

I will just have to take a look I guess!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post

Don't bother with the Wenallt - that's where I live and I haven't seen any!

Comment

I usually pick mine in October: by now there're definitely none left. Having said that, I only saw 4 on "my" bushes. It's been a bad year for fruit, generally
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ahh ok, well that's that!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind - hopefully next year!!!!

I like the wenallt.

Comment

I like the Wenallt too - especially at bluebell time Do you live nearby?

Comment

You could, as Zaz kind of mentioned above, try growing your own bushes.....its good barrier if nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post

I live right near Caerphilly Mountain (just off the side of it really) - there's nowt much up on it, I've been up a few times.

Wenalt wise, went looking for apples earlier in the year as VC mentioned there were some wild ones up there. Didn't see any either!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                        You could, as Zaz kind of mentioned above, try growing your own bushes.....its good barrier if nothing else...
                        We'll be digging all ours up, potting them up and selling them on after putting some in amongst our own hedging.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          We'll be digging all ours up, potting them up and selling them on after putting some in amongst our own hedging.
                          Great idea - and what an amazing hedge! - Scratching your arms off, but soo worth it when you swig your sloe gin down later!

Comment

Grangemoor

Try the Grangemoor by Asda in Cardiff Bay... The bottom of the hill just by the car parks

Comment

Hi Bowen and welcome I guess you're another local - all the more the merrier

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X