Definition of insanity - with rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of insanity - with rhubarb

So I have tried 2-3 times to plant shop bought rhubarb crowns with no success. They appear to rot away. I don't know anyone splitting existing crowns so haven't been able to obtain one via another method. I decided not to bother again as crowns are fairly expensive and I could buy a lot of rhubarb from a neighbour's front gate for that. However I was buying onions in the GC today and they had crowns for £1.99, so against my better judgement, I bought another one.

The crown - Champagne variety by Unwins, feels large and firm, seems to be thick stems rather than the ball of roots and dirt I've bought in the past. Is very dry but has two tiny non-withered leaves growing from it (which I took as a good sign as the others in the box had green mould growing on them). I realise it's probably false economy but I've probably spent £10-15 on rhubarb crowns to date so false economy is all I have left!

What I have:
    - clay soil, typical stuff, good at water retention and at forming cement-like surface.
    - identified site is in the corner of what is currently a wildlife/comfrey bed next to the daleks. Currently housing a courgette (the squash do not respect bed boundaries or allegiances)
    - sludgy grass clippings
    - fresh grass clippings
    - old potato compost (was shop bought bag compost before it was potato compost)
    - normal garden compost from dalek
    - horse bedding, some well rotted, some still 'fresh' looking
    - some basic verve shop bought compost
    - BFB and some tomato feed
    - a bad back, but I can get down to about a spade's depth for a small area if necessary

To try for the last time (sic) to grow rhubarb, what is the best approach, given when I have available? Should it be on a mound? Just below the surface or a bit deeper? Mulched? Sang to twice a day? Ignored? Obsessively weed free or happy to slum it in my 'wildlife' bed?

I figure if I do this as advised by those in the know here and it still doesn't work, I am simply not meant to grow rhubarb
    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Clear other stuff first.
    Rhubarb will be unhappy with invasive roots.

Clay + well rotted muck = ok
    Dig. Plant. Forget about it.
    Last edited by alldigging; 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I always pop mine into a hole with compost added, leaving it a little bit proud of the soil. Water in and haven't had a problem yet. They do take a couple of years to get going properly. I chuck manure on once winter comes as a mulch, but maybe let it take first.
      Good luck and fingers crossed.
      Forgot to add I do have free draining soil.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Plant it level with the top of the crown. Put the horse bedding / muck in the hole you dig, and fork it in well.

As alldigging says, forget about it. Don't harvest any of it next year. Come winter, give it some more horse muck - around the crown rather than on top of it. The following year you can start harvesting, but always leave at least a third of the stalks.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
          Plant it level with the top of the crown.
          Actually, if the clay is likely to become waterlogged, you could raise it a little so it's on a bit of a mound. That way it shouldn't rot if it does get a bit wet.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I only planted mine quite recently so I'm not sure it's not ready for splitting yet but being in sunny Essex myself I could ask around and keep an eye out to see if anyone on the lottie is splitting any.

Maybe a variety that has thrived locally would help!
            Last edited by vikkib; 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM.
            http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Mine have all rotted too ~ like you, I've bought & planted 3 or 4 different crown, no luck.

Last year an Olde Boye was splitting his clump and chucked a bit my way. Not thinking it would take, I left it on the surface for a while before remembering about it. Dug a hole, chucked lump in, filled hole with garden compost (I've never used horse muck and never will ~ it's not necessary).

It's taken
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have had three attempts at growing "easy" rhubarb! Last year I was given a crown by the next plotholder who has massive plants and it did very well until I planted it out and then it too has gone the way of the others and rotted away. The soil is well-drained and I've tried various places around the lottie.

Not to be beaten, this year I bought a strip of 3 tiny rhubarb plants from the local garden centre for £1.50 and have potted them up. The have all grown well during the summer and I've had to repot them twice. Now is crunch time - they have to go out into lottie soil.

Do you think I should risk planting out all three or keep one back in the pot at home? I've done everything suggested above^^^ and still no luck.
                Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

The "old boys" way was to dig up an old crown in Autumn and leave it on the surface for the frosts etc, and split it and plant in Spring, so maybe wait till Spring before planting your plants onto the lottie?

Comment

Glad it's not just me then! I've had the same rotten luck (pun intended! ) Have a spindly little one left now, if he doesn't take then i'm not bothering again!
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

A bit of a thought - if they've rotted cos it's too wet then do something about that.
                      Else check the soil pH.

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
                        I only planted mine quite recently so I'm not sure it's not ready for splitting yet but being in sunny Essex myself I could ask around and keep an eye out to see if anyone on the lottie is splitting any.

Maybe a variety that has thrived locally would help!
                        Oo thank you! I'm actually in Braintree, so just down the road from you too.

Thanks everyone! I have to say - though I wouldn't wish bad rhubarb vibes on anyone I am glad it's not just me - I thought I was the odd one out not managing to grow rhubarb! Combining all advice, I cleared a 1 metre square area (only marigolds and borage - easy roots). I dug a hole, chucked horse bedding in, forked it in, and buried the crown what I thought was the right way up with the top level with the top of a gentle mound. I then patted it and optimistically gave it a label. I'll mulch gently in a ring once it takes and I can see exactly where it is. And if it lives I shall leave it alone until 2014. Fingers crossed!
                        Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                        Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

My rhubarb had a couple of very poor years, and my grandad recommended digging it up in autumn and leaving it on top of the garden over winter. I plantedit in springand it's gone great guns this year. So with my little experience I'd recommend leaving it out til spring!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X