Runner beans - finished

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner beans - finished

Please can someone advice, my runner beans are finished and dying back, should i leave them in the ground to die right back or is it OK to dig up and remove canes now, do they 'add anything' to the ground?
    DottyR

You can dig them up and add them to the compost bin

Comment

Or you can just cut them down to the ground, put the tops in the compost bin and leave the root bit in the ground which is what I tend to do. Mine are still producing so you're quite unlucky to have lost them so early.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Before you chuck 'em onto the compost heap, chop the stems up into short lengths. It is annoying when a couple of years down the road, the bean stalks are still in long strings.

Cheers, Tony.
        Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Dorothy. Could you put your location on your profile please to give us an idea of your local growing conditions.
          Runner beans take nitrogen from the air and store it in nodules on the roots. So I cut my beans off at ground level, compost the tops and leave the roots in situ.
          Don't be disappointed that your beans have finished - I'm still waiting for mine to start
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-09-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Yes, welcome to the funny far... sorry, Forum, Dorothy.
            My beans are romping away and as i sowed in succession over a couple of months i expect to keep picking until November.
            If they look like they are dying back they might want some food... I spay with miracle grow and sprinkle grow more when it forcasts rain, to keep em tip top.
            Roger
            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Mine have finished cos we've already had a couple of slight frosts

Comment

Ouch.....frost already!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                  I spay with miracle grow
                  That's an oxymoron, no?
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                    my runner beans are finished ...should i leave them in the ground ?
                    Those famed nitrogen nodules don't exist, at least not after the plant has produced beans, so they aren't going to add nitrogen to your soil.

However, as the roots rot, they will naturally aerate the soil, which is good.

I've been chopping up old bean foliage with seccys and leaving on the soil as a mulch: it's improving the soil no end

Comment

Well you learn something new everyday....Cheers TS.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_a/a-129.pdf
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Well you learn something new everyday....Cheers TS.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_a/a-129.pdf
                        That's way too complicated for me to understand so I'm sticking with what I've always done!
                        And see this :
                        Nitrogen release from a legume crop occurs as the above-ground plant
                        residues, roots and nodules gradually decompose. Soil microorganisms
                        decompose the relatively nitrogen-rich organic material and release the nitrogen
                        to the soil when they die. Usually about two-thirds of the nitrogen fixed by a
                        legume crop becomes available the next growing season after a legume in a rotation
                        http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/management/files/sq_atn_6.pdf
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-09-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

If they are dying prematurely due to incurable disease, then you might want to dig them out now.
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                          Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                          tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

From BigMally's link:

"nodules on annual legumes generally lose their ability to fix nitrogen, because the plant feeds the developing seed rather than the nodule."

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Nitrogen release from a legume crop occurs as the above-ground plant
                              residues, roots and nodules gradually decompose. ...Usually about two-thirds of the nitrogen fixed by a
                              legume crop becomes available the next growing season after a legume in a rotation
                              That's if the crop isn't harvested, but is left to rot into the soil.

From your link VC:

For perennial or biennial legumes such as alfalfa or sweetclover, 40 to 70 pounds of N are produced per ton of forage if the crop is left unharvested.
                              If the crop is harvested as forage, the remaining stubble and roots will return 5 to 15 pounds of nitrogen to the soil
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-09-2012, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X