Kale: Dwarf Green Curled

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale: Dwarf Green Curled

I sowed my kale on 11th March. It was very slow to grow, was potted on to 3.5" pots at some point, and then to 5" pots probably in June. It's been in Morrisons buckets since the end of July.

The biggest one is about 8" tall, 10" spread. The T&M website says it has a spread of 18" and height of 16". That means mine isn't fully grown.

Is it likely to grow much bigger? Or should I just pick leaves "as and when"?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

I sowed about the same time and mine are mixed size plant. one ran to seed a month ago, others just withered and died. I do have some i am hoping to stand for winter use.
    I just pinch out the young leaves in a center and keep on picking.... A bit like cut and come again.
    I will only eat it once its been frosted.
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
      I sowed my kale on 11th March. It was very slow to grow, was potted on to 3.5" pots at some point, and then to 5" pots probably in June. It's been in Morrisons buckets since the end of July.

The biggest one is about 8" tall, 10" spread. The T&M website says it has a spread of 18" and height of 16". That means mine isn't fully grown.

Is it likely to grow much bigger? Or should I just pick leaves "as and when"?
      You can pick leaves to use as and when you want them, but kale isn't really happy in pots.

Comment

imo, early March is just too... well, early. Mine go in pots in April/May, then into the ground in July, for harvesting over winter

They won't grow as well in pots as in the open ground, and brassicas like a good firm soil
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

until i get an allotment or move to france, i don't really have any choice other than to use pots .... i firmed them quite well when potting on .... i have to make do the best i can ....

if they're not likely to grow much bigger, the smaller ones can come out and be replaced with cabbage or cauliflower ....

Comment

I grow DGC kale in large containers without any problems but I do have a heavy clay soil which I use in the potting mix. Current crop is growing two to a 40l polypot and would have been looking good but for the bl**dy caterpillars.

Comment

i don't really have any choice other than to use pots ....
              You do have a choice over your compost though: do you use a heavy John Innes No.3 type? It's much better for greedy plants than the cheap fluffy MPC that we use for seedlings

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                You do have a choice over your compost though: do you use a heavy John Innes No.3 type? It's much better for greedy plants than the cheap fluffy MPC that we use for seedlings
                using cheap MPC for the time being .... i'm hoping not to buy any compost at all next year .... part of the mission to become totally self-sufficient in veg ....

for next year, i will re-use the compost in these pots, together with compost from the pallet bins and daleks, council compost (very rough, still steaming when we bag it up), compost from the new wormery and some soil .... might need a separate thread about making up the best mixes for each type of plant ....

also hoping we'll have chickens by then ....

Comment

don't forget leafmould: lovely free potting compost for sowing seeds into

Comment

My dwarf curly kale, 4 to a cut down water tank giving about 7" of depth.

Sown 10/05 in MPC been eating for some weeks now. Simple question what are you feeding it?

Colin
                    Attached Files
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

this is a couple of my bigger plants - not eaten any yet

haven't fed them, just watered - they are in MPC
                      Attached Files

Comment

haven't fed them, just watered - they are in MPC
                        That's it then, they're starving. MPC would have 6 weeks feed at the maximum

Comment

How did I guess, If it were me I would give them a dose of Miracle Grow in fact several does's this is high in nitrogen and will boost green growth.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

how often? once a week?

Comment

Its a bit late in the season now, but normally yes once a week should do the trick. To try and kick start them I would feed twice and then water on the third time, then go down to once a week.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X