beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beetroot

This is my first year of growing beetroot. I have pronto and bulls blood. NO comparrison, bulls blood wins for coulor but has anyone tried these for taste? there are so many diferent varieties but what I really want to know is which taste good?

I grew cheap and cheerful B&Q boltardy last year for the first time. I hated beetroot until I tasted those! fantastic! would never eat jars of the pickled stuff ever again!
    Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I have had fresh beetroot from the farmers market which was very tasty grated into a mixed salad. first year growing myself so wondered which variety were v tasty and if bulls blood were tasty AND beautifull

Comment

Am I right in thinking that you can eat the leaves as well?
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

yes you can and bulls blood add a lovely colour to any mixed salad but at the end of the day I have loads of salad leaves of various colours which are far more tasty than beetroot. What I want from this plant is to be a great addition to the pottager and be tasty as a root . If there is another variety of beet that is better to eat then I will grow this separately in pots

Comment

Sorry Serenity, I'm not an expert on the relative merits of different varieties of beetroot. (We might all get there though !) Maybe we could compare notes later.
            I just wanted to say - apparently beetroot likes a little salt sprinkled on the ground around it. I'm trying it anyway.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Bolthardy def the winner on taste for me(and for germination).I now grow this every year,and a different one along side(this year chicco pink),so I can compare,but as I say so far Bolthardy the best all round.

Comment

My grandma (now nearly 80!) has been growing beetroot for 50 years and always goes with boltardy for flavour. jo

Comment

Has anyone ever tried the mature leaves cooked like chard? there is a white rooted type sold by real seeds and they say the tops are cooked this way. just wondered if all varieties would be suitable.

Comment

Hi serenity

Last year I would pick off a couple of leaves per plant whilst the root was still maturing and cooked it in olive oil and garlic for a couple of minutes and it was really yummy.

Comment

Like Dexterdog, I picked up a pkt of B&Q Boltardy a few weeks ago. not tried these befor but looking forward to a good crop. Most of our beetroot goes into borsch. Everything but the soil.(well almost)
                      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I bionda, welcome to the vine. Will try this with my bulls blood leaves when they get a bit bigger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X