Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans

I have some runners in my greenhouse that are getting very big......is it too soon to plant them out??????
    Sam

depends on where you live but may be a bit risky. I am a long way south and the codgers havent put theres out yet so i am holding back a couple of weeks

On the subject of runners, I have sown mine in those plastic trays with 40 compartments of about 2.5 cm sq and 7 cm deep. Looking at all the posts about needing to allow for long roots, will this be adequate? I planted them last week and none peeped thru yet altho scraping back the compost shows germination.
    Last edited by pigletwillie; 28-04-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Not good on centimetres has-bean, but I use toilet roll inner tubes (if you know what I mean) for beans. Ellasmum, depends on where you live. You can plant beans out when there is no further frost expected. If they really are getting too big, harden them off for about a week, putting outside during the day and bringing in at night, then plant them out on the lottie. If we get a late frost forecast you may need to cover them with fleece or newspaper.

Comment

I've had same problem - was too keen about 4 weeks ago - planted runner beans and some have really gone made. I came to conclusion if left them in pots would probably start to fail anyway so hardened them off and planted out yesterday with my fingers crossed. They are rapped in fleece - good job as we live near Middlesbrough as frost risk for a while yet - but decided was probably going to loose them anyway so like i say fingers crossed - they survived last night!

Comment

Put mine out a fortnight ago they are going up the sticks like longdogs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X