Strawberries (again (sorry))

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries (again (sorry))

I have 5 strawberry plants Which had a good crop for their first season (didn't get any though. The insects had them all)
    They've started flowering again. I've been pinching the flowers off as i want them to do well next year when i'm more prepared for the insects.
    Is this right?
    And i've read that i should be cutting the leaves back. Do i cut them right down near the soil?

Also

I have young Raspberry, Tayberry, Loganberry and Blackberry plants in my trough. Do i cut them back back or leave doing that till next year?

Thanks

I put strawbs in last Sept and they immediately flowered and gave me strawbs in Oct. I got strawbs off them all summer, when the slugs weren't eating them all. And mine are flowering again now and as I happily eat strawbs, I leave them. I don't see the point in having plants that give me food and not eating it.

Comment

Why will you be more prepared for insects next year, Jason?
      As for the leaves, they're there to feed the plant, so leave them on until they die off. You can cut them off then if you want them to look tidy!

Comment

The experts (of which I am not one) reckon that it will strengthen the plant if it isn't allowed to produce fruit in the first year. Same experts do also advocate cutting back the foliage after fruiting. I think the idea is to get rid of any potentially diseased leaves and as they throw new growth very readily doing so certainly doesn't seem to do any harm. The less leaves there are, the less hiding places there are for slugs to harbour.

I rake out the straw I have used around my plants after fruiting. I then trim the foliage using my hedging shears and burn the lot. Works for me. The best bit of advice you can get is to do what works for you

Comment

oh, and no need to say sorry. Folks on here are happy to help

Comment

I think cutting the foliage back is more for June bearers and is done immediately after they finish fruiting to about one inch above the crown. There would be plenty of time to grow healthy new foliage during the rest of summer/early autumn. The timing is supposed to be important as the number of buds for the following year is determined around this time of year. So it might be too late to do a full renovation. But take off any diseased or poor looking leaves. If they are flowering now I wonder are they perpetual types? They generally dont get cut back as harshly as June bearers. Some people nip the flowers out that form in the first flush in Spring so as to get a stronger crop on the second flush and thereby getting a nice late crop.
            This site is great for info ...
            Strawberry Plants

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              oh, and no need to say sorry. Folks on here are happy to help
              ..........Or give confusing advice (like me!)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                ..........Or give confusing advice (like me!)
                I think of all the advice given as interesting and even more so if it is confusing.

Comment

Did you know I have a degree, AP? Yep, I'm an M.Sc.
                  Master (or Mistress actually) of Simple confusion

Comment

I have letters after my name too

Comment

And yours are - with appropriate explanation...........?

Comment

AP - Absolutely Panicking ?
                        BA - Blooming Amateur ?
                        Sorry Frank, couldn't resist !
                        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

If they are flowering now they sound like perpetuals, but you didn't mention the variety. Personally I grow summer only fruiting strawbs as it gives the plants the chance to have a rest and build up their vigour fot the next year. Strawbs for me taste better anyway when the weather is sunny and warm. Having said that I've just noticed a new flower triuss appearing on one of my plants, That rarely happens but it's been a strange year. I'm cutting them off as there's no chance of fruit growing and ripening later

You should cut off the old leathery leaves which may harbour pests like aphids and red spider mite, keeping 3 - 4 new leaves over winter
                          Last edited by bend1pa; 23-09-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X