Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rhubarb

Hello All!

I'm planning ahead to tidying up the garden and have a question about my rhubarb.

It was planted at the start of this year and has grown fantastically well even in it's little shady corner. I've been a good girl and not picked a single piece as I know it has to build up it's strength but now I'm at a loss of what to do with it.

Do I ever cut it back to the ground or just spend the winter looking at rotting pieces of rhubarb. I must cut it back at some point surely?

Many Thanks

No need to cut it back, just pull of the dead / dying stems and put them on the compost heap.

Comment

Leave it be! Nature knows best. The remaining leaves and stalks will die back and you'll be left with little trace of your plant through the winter, just bright pink leaf buds that poke through the soil early in the year and you'll know that spring is on its way
      NB This is what I do - the experts may disagree!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Leave it be! Nature knows best. The remaining leaves and stalks will die back and you'll be left with little trace of your plant through the winter, just bright pink leaf buds that poke through the soil early in the year and you'll know that spring is on its way
        NB This is what I do - the experts may disagree!
        I agree. Leave it to do its thing - the leaves will die down in early winter.
        Pulling leaves and stems off, either to eat the stems in spring or to "tidy it up" now, reduces its vigour and therefore the yield in subsequent years.
        Puling stems in spring (as it tried to get photosynthesis underway for a new season) or in autumn (as it tries to send the nutrients down from the leaves to grow more roots to power growth the next season) are the times most likely to knock its vigour.

So only pull stems off for eating, or if the plant is seriously in need of reducing its vigour.

Otherwise: leave it alone.

Comment

i would throw a couple of handfuls of chicken manure pellets around the rhubarb in feb/march,thats what i do and we have 13 crowns and great crops,best of all the garden crops for me,i love the sharp taste..good luck with it,enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
            i would throw a couple of handfuls of chicken manure pellets around the rhubarb in feb/march,...
            Yes, the vigorous leafy growth we need from rhubarb in order to get good stems, requires lots of nitrogen and adequate amounts of other nutrients - and adequate amounts of water.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I shall keep my need to have a tidy at bay and let the plant be. Until next year of course when I finally get to try some

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X