Flower drop on dorset naga chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower drop on dorset naga chillies

These have been in flower for a good 3 weeks now, and not one flower has made it out of an uncountable amount. I have been using a small brush to pollinate, keeping them well watered and fed. I even started leaving them outside during the day so the wind could help things.

It seems very small chilies do form in the flower but they all drop off still.

Has anyone else run into problems with their dorset nagas?

Got any pictures of your plant? and where does it normally live?

Comment

Originally posted by Superh View Post
      These have been in flower for a good 3 weeks now, and not one flower has made it out of an uncountable amount. I have been using a small brush to pollinate, keeping them well watered and fed. I even started leaving them outside during the day so the wind could help things.

It seems very small chilies do form in the flower but they all drop off still.

Has anyone else run into problems with their dorset nagas?
      My Dorset Nagas fruit outside on a sunny patio, The fruit are nowhere near as large as I would expect but I still get VERY hot nice tasting fruit. I moved them outside last year as they would not fruit indoors at all. They stay outside until late september.

Comment

I have a naga morich plant this year that I'm also struggling to get any fruit from. Mine are on a windowsill. Altogether I'm not having much luck with my chillies this year, and I'm already looking forward to starting again on them in Jan/Feb.

Comment

Paintbrushes are not much good for pollinating chillies and tomatoes. Give the plant a sharp tap and watch the pollen fall onto the flowers

Comment

Chillis are self pollinating anyway - so it can't be that.

Comment

I haven't had a single chilli this year; a couple of Mohawk peppers, but no chillies. It was just too cold for too long
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My chillis arent flourishing either, esp the peruvian purple, so it could just be the wild differences in temperature, or perhaps they are stressed? (too little or too much water?)
                Have you tried feeding them?

Comment

First time growing chillis and peppers and I've been surprised reading that it isn't working out for people. I'm not gloating but I'm getting tons of Gypsy sweet peppers and B&Q brand Jalapenos and have been for a while. Weather here has been generally bad all summer. I started my tender stuff off under a shop light for about 6-8 weeks and stopped in April. Coming to the conclusion now that this has made all the difference. A good start, nice stocky strong plants seems to make all the difference down the road. It's a dirt cheap setup and only about 7 euro (I think) to run per month on 8 hours a night). Anyway thought I'd share that. I know some people think it is cheating but sure isn't most gardening??

Comment

I've also got loads growing - I did another batch of dunking in PVA glue this weekend; to keep the seed pure so here's hoping I have lots for seed circles this year.
                    I have to say that the Fatallis are coming in as the most prolific this year.

Comment

My only fatalli is about 3 inch high. The slowest grower of them all. Had a few cayennes, a masquerade (lots more on the way) a couple of bulgarian carrot and a couple of cyclon. The orange/black/chocolate habs are trying to flower/fruit but taking their time. I may keep some going over winter. Cayennes are usually prolific but even they have struggled this year.

Comment

That's interesting - one of my Numex Twilights has been cropping for a few weeks now and I have fruit on nearly every other plant. I'm usually way behind everyone else as I chuck my plants into a cold greenhouse as soon as they are a few inches tall, the theory being that they may stall a bit but once it warms up they speed up and this year, that has certainly been the case again.
                        Last edited by zazen999; 29-08-2012, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Chillis are self pollinating anyway - so it can't be that.
                          Really? That's the first time I've heard that. I've always read about pollinating them with a small paint brush or cotton bud.

Comment

Originally posted by The Goatreich View Post
                            Really? That's the first time I've heard that. I've always read about pollinating them with a small paint brush or cotton bud.
                            Yes, really.

I've linked to one that was dipped in pva glue before it flowered - it's the one with the plastic ring around it [to identify it from non-pure seed].

Last edited by zazen999; 29-08-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks. At least I know in future not to go jamming a paintbrush into my chilli flowers. What does the PVA glue do?

Scratch that, a quick google has answered that for me. Very interesting tips on this forum!!
                              Last edited by The Goatreich; 29-08-2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X