Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to know about blackcurrants in containers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to know about blackcurrants in containers?

Hi everyone, I passed by Squires Garden Centre the other day and saw there is a summer sale going on at present. I originally intended just to get some compost bags, but went out of the store with a blackcurrant, small straweberry plant and a cute Fuchsia. I was wondering if there is something more specific I should know about the blackcurrant preferences e.g. soil type, position, watering, feeding, etc...
    Last edited by da_ra; 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM.

How to grow blackcurrants with lots of hints, tips, pictures and advice

They get big, and spreading ~ 4ft wide isn't unusual, but it would be cramped in a container, and won't be so productive as if it was in the ground

Grow your own blackcurrants / RHS Gardening

Growing Blackcurrants - Easy Step-by-Step Guide With Pictures
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

"Blackcurrants in containers" I thought you wanted advice as to fruit in tins from Sainsbury's or Teso's X X X X

Cheers, Tony
      Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

put the blackcurrant into a large tub,i use old style dustbins cut to 1/2 to 2/3 size,good soil and a fistfull of chicken manure pellets and then let them get on with it,i have 4 bins and the ice cream the wife makes with it is the best,when tub gets congested,split the root system and put 1/4 back in with fresh soil,i use about 1/4 amount from own compost bin,but dont feed them from autumn onwards,i dont know if this is the best way,but it works for me..

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your responses Two Sheds, I don't have a proper garden, just a roof one, so a container is my only option. But thank you very much for the links, I will definitely check them out. Kleftiwallah, you made me smile I might need some advice in this regard later on, if I try selling my fruits to the factories )) BUFFS, very useful information, thanks a lot again! Could you tell me whether the roots are shallow or they go deep in the container, as I've got fairly large one, which looks like a rised bed with a base (DIY project for my strawberries), where I can plant the blackcurrant bush at the back, but it's not that deep, probably around 30-40cm.

Cheers,
          Dani
          Last edited by da_ra; 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

It's the more compact "Ben Connan", if it makes any difference...
            Last edited by da_ra; 13-08-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X