Confused about raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about raspberries

A chap on a neighbouring plot gave up his plot last year and told me I could take his raspberry plants. There was some fruit on them in September so I assumed they were autumn fruiting raspberries.
    I replanted them on my plot in October and left 1 foot high of a cane on each plant. Lots of new growth but I have been getting some raspberries for about a month. I read that summer fruiting can only fruit on 1 year old canes so are these definately autumn fruiting? I'm confused because I thought they would fruit later in year.
    btw he didnt know what they were, his wife was the gardener but was ill and I didn't get to talk to her.
    Thanks a lot

You can get some fruit on autumn raspberries now. I've picked a few on mine. I think the plants may have done this since you left a foot of cane, autumn raspberries should be cut down to the ground so that the new shoots are from the base and not as side shoots from last year's cane which is what summer raspberries do.

If there is new growth from the base then you should get some fruit this autumn too.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

aha! I must trace the fruiting canes down and see if they are new or from the old canes. There are definately new shoots alright.
      But isn't this a handy way of getting some early fruit on autumn raspberries? Might leave a cane next winter Or would that impact on what the new canes would produce?
      Thanks a lot

Comment

If you've got lots of new growth either from the ground or your stubs (say a good few feet) with fruit on it, then they'll be autumn fruiting. Mine have been fruiting for a while now as well, I think the warm spring may have helped get them going.

You can leave autumn fruiting canes to get an earlier crop next year, but it will delay and reduce the new growth and its crop. Personally I prefer not to try and keep canes intact through the scottish winter storms.
        Last edited by BigJim; 30-07-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks BigJim.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim View Post
            If you've got lots of new growth either from the ground or your stubs (say a good few feet) with fruit on it, then they'll be autumn fruiting. Mine have been fruiting for a while now as well, I think the warm spring may have helped get them going.

You can leave autumn fruiting canes to get an earlier crop next year, but it will delay and reduce the new growth and its crop. Personally I prefer not to try and keep canes intact through the scottish winter storms.
            I have been testing out on two varieties of autumn raspberries (Joan J and Himbotop). The canes of both plants that have been cut back completely over winter are a lot bigger (1-2 ft) an have much more fruit on every cane.

My advice : cut back autumn raspberries in sprind if you have summer raspberries.

Comment

Thanks Sugar

Comment

Are they possibly 'remontant' ie 2 crops a year, if the weather stays good enough. Thats what I have and they are red.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                  Are they possibly 'remontant' ie 2 crops a year, if the weather stays good enough. Thats what I have and they are red.
                  You get two crops, but they will be smaller

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                    aha!But isn't this a handy way of getting some early fruit on autumn raspberries? Might leave a cane next winter
                    There was a deffinite recommendation in one of last autumn's GYO mag to only cut some canes in half to get an early season crop. I did this with half of mine and picked "the crop" (euphamism for very samll quantity) last week. It has been a rubbish year for out door fruit for me so I would say the experiment worked and will be trying it again next year. I thought I'd rotate so this autumn I'll cut the ones that have just fruited to the ground and only halve the ones that have grown from soil level this year.
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Thanks. Yes I think I'll leave just a few to see. Planning on planting more autumn ones over winter, idea being to have good crop of strawberries followed by plenty of raspberries. A few rassers in between would be nice. Never realised how nice!

Comment

our joan j didnt crop last year as the sun vanished around the start of june,so i just trimmed them and left them full sized,we have been getting enough to fill a quart pot each day now for weeks,and there is loads more to ripen,lucky guesswork..and the polka (we have 10 of each) are growing well for the autumn crop so we should be enjoying them for several months to come...silly weather and great soft fruit crops.....as was said in the 60s....its a mad mad world!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                          ...and the polka (we have 10 of each) are growing well for the autumn
                          My 'Polka' cane is still just that, a cane!
                          No sign of growth at all & my boyf. is laughing at me for having a stick as a plant despite me telling him it WILL grow! <sigh>

Do I bin it or keep it in the hope something will happen in the next few months?
                          Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolate8me View Post
                            My 'Polka' cane is still just that, a cane!
                            No sign of growth at all & my boyf. is laughing at me for having a stick as a plant despite me telling him it WILL grow! <sigh>

Do I bin it or keep it in the hope something will happen in the next few months?
                            How long has it been planted?

Comment

Rusty Lady, it's been planted since I received it in last years offer in GYO mag, I think it was around December time. Got Glen Ample with it & that's been amazing. It's on it's second lot of raspberries now.
                              Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X