leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeks

whats the best way to grow leeks, not quite big enough to go in the ground yet, my growing partner has been advised to trim the roots and the top of leeks, not sure about this , please can anyone advise

thanks
    marion

from previous posts I am assuming this is down to personal preference. some trim some don't. Since all report good results I can't see it's worth trimming

Comment

Mine all go into standard seed trays Marion, 20 to a tray and they get planted out after the early tatties are lifted (end of May time).

I have never trimmed roots or leaves as I have never been given a good enough reason to induce stress into the plants when planting them out, which is stressful enough for them.

Comment

Pros and cons of leek trimming

PW is spot on, it is usual to follow spuds and use a old fork handle as a dibber to make 6/8"hole. Drop leek in hole and water it in. The problem/advantage comes when you try and get all that spaggetti into the hole. Its awkward and can hold up the leek up and you want to as much blanched as poss- so leaving just the tips poking out. Also, it is one thing to get leeks out of the tray, but another to dig them out of a seedbed without snapping 1/2 the roots- which will then will only resprout from basel plate, you give them space to do so. If you do trim roots then you should trim leaves as well so as not to lose water. I have known the old boys to just twist off the leaves All this doesn't really affect the leeks as they have a 10 month+ growing season.

That said, I like to exhibit some, and enjoy trying to get a very long blanch. I planted this batch yesterday in what you might call a trad. celery trench with retaining boards up the side. This will have a seep-hose in the bottom and be filled in and earthed up as they grow. I didn't trim as I dont want any setback and they are still quite small so without a huge root system.

My tip is to line up leeks along the row so they don't flop everywhere.

Comment

Mine are currently in 1kg marge tubs of compost - my equivalent of seed trays and about the same depth. They are spaced about 1" apart eithe way and will thicken up till I put them in after early crops. You do worry about them first off, but don't. They are doing fine. I don't trim or chop leaves either. When you drop them into their dibbed holes at final planting, you fill the hole with water which can help to spread and settle the roots.

Good luck - think of the food at the end!
          Last edited by Flummery; 26-04-2007, 08:35 AM.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X