Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But.... what about the parsnips...?

OMG !!
    I can't believe I forgot to sow some parsnips this year! If I sow some now, will they grow?

Can you get some from a local farm shop maybe ?

In my experience they took around 3/4 weeks to germinate meaning now your looking for first leaves in august.

Am sure they will still grow but size wise may be best to try that.

I have a few seedlings in a pot your welcome to if it helps ?

Comment

Have a go. Nothing to lose if you have the space. I would sow them closer than recommended as they may only be small - but lots of smaller (sweeter) 'snips is just as good as less larger, possibly woody, ones. Good luck.
      Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

If you've already got the seeds then you've got nothing to lose

have a look at this thread :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...azy_35189.html
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I planted mine months ago and they are tiny. Might as well give it a try!
          Winter is coming

Comment

me too - mine have only started coming up ..... well they were there last time I looked but I fear they may have been muched by the slimey's by now. I'm going to start some more off - I reackon they will have time to get to a decent size, I don't like whoppers anyway.
            Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Stick some fleece over the top of them- they will do better if you do
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

At least they should germinate slightly quicker at this time of year - or at least not as slowly

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Right if others are, then I am too. I've had nothing from my end March or April sowings. May for me next year then. If I sow in the polytunnel would that help?
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I read somewhere that you shouldn't plant parsnips and carrots together - is that right? I thought they were related and could share a bed?

I'm going to plant some in the tunnel tomorrow then too VVG, see how they work out .
                    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                      I read somewhere that you shouldn't plant parsnips and carrots together - is that right? I thought they were related and could share a bed?

I'm going to plant some in the tunnel tomorrow then too VVG, see how they work out .
                      I have never ever managed to grow them Kathyd, so I await the answer as to whether they are successful in a polytunnel. It's my first year growing under plastic, so I am far from an expert on it. I just thought it might aid sustained growth so they weren't too dinky at the end.
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Have grown parsnips and carrots in the same bed on many occasions with no problems at all. Never done parsnips in the tunnel (they're nice and hardy and like the frost) but do find it very good for early carrots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

When do you sow early carrots in the poly please Alison? My book talks about growing parsnips in tunnels but I thought it might be extreme. I'll do mine on the lotty then.

Comment

Usually try sowing some in early Feb but will go for an early growing variety so they're ready nice and early before other things go in. However this year they seem to have taken an age and are being harvested rather on the small side. Very tasty though still.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Usually try sowing some in early Feb but will go for an early growing variety so they're ready nice and early before other things go in. However this year they seem to have taken an age and are being harvested rather on the small side. Very tasty though still.
                              Thanks I'll try that then, I'm still not very up on what and when on polytunnel growing. I'm trying to sketch it out on paper at the moment. I'm trying to keep it churning most of the year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X