Impatient for parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impatient for parsnips

Hi all! I'm currently attempting this famous kitchen-roll method of germinating parsnips as I've had bad luck with these blighters in the past. Set them off about a week and a half or so ago but no sign o' nathin' yet. How long should I give them before I throw them in a fit of peak onto the compost heap - does anyone know?

Also, does this method work for carrots too?

Thanks for any advice...

Patience is a virtue Oconnosm especially with parsnips, they can still take 3-4weeks even with fresh seed. If the seed is old I would start again with fresh.

Carrots are the only veg that I start directly in the ground as you end up with marigold carrots otherwise (lots of fingers).

Comment

Mine took between 2 and 3 weeks. They came a few at a time so I popped them in their roll middles 'on flow' as they say. I got all but 3 out of 25 seeds to germinate. As I personally detest parsnips but OH and my Mum love them, this has been a labour of love! They are growing well now in their roll middles and I shall be popping them in the garden this weekend. So I'd say give them a bit longer. My wet kitchen roll was kept inside a poly bag to ensure it never dried out. I suspect this is important! Thanks for this tip.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As Piglet said mine took at least 3 weeks to show any signs of life. Mine are planted in paper tubes and they are very slow growing - especially compared to the carrots that came up withing a week! I've never used the kitchen roll method but I've had good sucess sowing direct into compost. I've got several seedlings in all pots after sowing about 5 seeds in each.
        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine took about three weeks to appear.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I'll be a bit more patient so! Does it matter if they're in the light or should they be in a dark place? I had them on a window-sill and then put them in a wardrobe (my husband's - heh heh!) as I worried that maybe they'd prefer darkness. Was my worrying in vain (as it so often is according to self same husband)?

Comment

Mine were just on the kitchen worktop.

Comment

Kitchen windowsill here. As soon as a little sprout formed though, they went into compost.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I think the wet paper method still has a 3 - 4 week germination period - the parsnips seem to have a mind of their own! I have done this with success and now have a row of 'snips on my plot with the 1st/2nd true leaves appearing!

Comment

Mine sown direct on the 8th April has just germinated today - this is the first time in 3 years of trying

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X