March sown leeks still too small?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March sown leeks still too small?

I sowed some leeks in march, they are individually potted in white plastic vending cups but are still quite small - say 10cm to 15cm and like grass - they havent changed much in size at all of late.

I was expecting to plant these in their final positions in July - but as they are nowhere near the "pencil width" they need to be I am wondering if they will ever be ready...

advice appreciated please.

I read somewhere about LEeks about potting them on, then out and finally digging up again and dibbing a decent hole.

I did this, a week ago they where pulled up (outside) and the roots trimmed to 2.5cm and replanted into holes around 6 inches deep, so just the tips of the leaves where visible.

They have since come on a treat, despite the harsh weather nad have grown 3/4cm each in 10 days or so.

I cant recall which magazine I read it in.

Comment

For the last two years mine have never made it beyond the size of a darning needle but I've planted them out in individual dibbed holes anyway. Most disappeared below the top of the holes, but by the time they started to bolt in late April some were big enough to feed two of us with left overs.
      I've never worried about trimminig roots, either - too much effort when I'm planting out 200 plus. I sow a hundred per big pot, so I guess the roots get 'trimmed' when they are separated for plantng out.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine are like that too but I'm still going to plant them out next month and see how they get on, basically they've got two choices . Don't think the up and down weather has helped although my Feb sown ones are well ahead.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Just imagine what my May sown ones are like. I am only aiming for baby leeks, but so far they've pushed up about 3cm from the soil, and have decided to leave it at that.

Comment

In the good old days, leeks weren't planted out till the tattie crop was lifted. No need to panic. Plenty time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              In the good old days, leeks weren't planted out till the tattie crop was lifted. No need to panic. Plenty time yet.
              Good!
              My look fairly grass like... To the point where I pulled one out thinking it was a weed. It tasted ok though!

Comment

Don't worry if they're not pencil thick they'll be fine and fatten up eventually. Our neighbours look like grass and always do around now, but they always get good size leeks. Ours are fatter because I plant the whole clump out in the ground around April and leave them for a bit. They fatten up to near pencil thickness then and are much easier to dib in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X