Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries and strawberry's

Hi Guys

My strawberry's are in there final year now and need a new batch putting in.

I have a fruit cage now my idea is to have raspberries and strawberries together in one cage.

Ideally i would like them together rather than seperating them has anyone tried this at all and when would be best to plant them if i decied to proceed.

I hope this makes sence.

Cheers NJ
    Last edited by novicejim; 20-06-2012, 01:44 PM.

Do you mean planting the strawberries around the base of the raspberries, or what?

Comment

Yes veggiechicken sorry, have a plan in my head tried to get it on paper but couldnt lol

Comment

..... and the answer to my question is..............?

Comment

Yes i plan to plant them around the base of the raspberries

Comment

You would need to be sure that the strawberries had enough light to ripen, if they were beneath the rasps. Also, might you step on them when picking the rasps.
            I'd do it if the strawbs were just for ground cover and not for the fruit, otherwise, I have my doubts!

Comment

To be honest they would be better separated.

Comment

Originally posted by novicejim View Post
                Yes i plan to plant them around the base of the raspberries
                At some point you're going to have to dig out those strawberry plants (when you remove rooted runners, or when you dispose of elderly plants). The strawbs are going to throw dozens of runners all over the place, so you're going to have to be able to get in there and deal with them.

Rasps don't like having their roots disturbed.

And if they're prickly rasps, you're going to get very scratched when you try to have anything to do with the strawbs
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks guys will use another bed on the plot i have one in mind when's best to buy and plant new rasp bush's & strawberrys.

Cheers NJ
                  Last edited by novicejim; 21-06-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X