Growing Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Carrots

Hi, i am a beginner at growing Vegetables. Tomato’s and lettuce are about my barrow! Lol. My 10 year son wants to grow some carrots as they are his favourite vegetable, and since he is not keen on any other vegetable I thought this would be a great way of him trying other vegetable if he as grown them himself! So if we can grow a successful carrot you never know where it will lead! So this is where I need all your help. Not having a veggie patch only a patio we have gone for the black plastic bin with holes at the bottom, please can you advise me which variety to get and any do`s and don’t regarding growing in a bin.

All your help is gratefully received

I've had my Parmex carrits in a big pot on the staging in the g/h sown on 17/2. They've had no special treatment apart from the odd soaking and a bit of thinning and they're just romping away.

Trouble is, I'm trying to clear the g/h for the toms. Do I still need to protect them from the evil fly ? I suppose the staging will be coming out too so i could just sit them on there to keep them high up, just a matter of finding a spot in the already over crowded garden !

Sown some rainbow carrits (in a black bucket) on 10/4, same greenhouse, same staging, bit of glass on the top of the bucket till germination, and they popped through about a week ago. Again, nothing fancy, just some sieved compost, bit of love and the occasional pose for the camera.

Must sow some more in the bath as well. I'm really trying to do this "little and often" successional thing properly this year !

good luck with yours.

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Hi gordie magpie and welcome to the vine. it shouldnt be too difficult to grow any sort of carrot in a dusbin. If you want monsters try st Valery or New red intermediate but probably you would be better with a quickly maturing variety like 'early Nantes'

Carrot fly is the bane of carrot growers which you will avoid as they only fly low to ground(no higher than18"). As for soil- first a couple of inches of gravel then any potting compost will do, but ideally 'loam' based one. It is easier to regulate water consumption. You could mix multipurpose with garden soil (do so very well) but then you will introduce weeds- depends on your budget tho. Just sprinkle them on try- as evenly as poss and not too thickly. Keep it damp but not soaking. and be patient as they will take a couple of weeks to appear. If weather turns realy bad it, might be an idea to put some placcy on top for a bit

It is really great that you are encouraging your boy to take an interest. I wish you both the best of luck.
      Last edited by Paulottie; 24-04-2007, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the grapevine, Gordie Magpie. Carrots in containers is the best way to get decent shaped roots, unless your soil is fine and sandy. Nothing puts children off gardening (and veg eating) more than some twisted monster that you can't get the dirt out of! Early Nantes has already been mentioned as a quick growing, slightly shorter rooted carrot that should give no trouble in a container. If you (or your child) have the patience, try putting the carrot seeds an inch or so apart on the compost - ready spaced, and then gently sift a little more compost on top. Make sure it doesn't dry out and off you go!

Best wishes,

Flum
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I only grow carrots in containers - don't have the ground space and can't be faffed with protecting them! I use containers about 10 inches diameter and 12 inches deep. It is surprising how many carrots you can get in this way. I might be able to pull twenty or thirty in a good year, up to five inches long.

Early nantes and amsterdam forcing have been the best for me. Personally, I had a poor crop when I used the round varieties as they took up too much room across the pot!

My top tip is not to over-water or feed. If you keep the pot too wet and use fertiliser, the tops will grow at the expense of the roots. I have just got the hang of this in the last couple of years and my carrots are much larger and quicker growing. "just damp" is my recommendation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X