Planting out sweet corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out sweet corn

Is it too early to plant out my sweet corn?

The plants are about six inches tall, but I don't want to jump the gun and find we get a frost

What do you think - go for it or not?
    Last edited by ChrisB; 23-04-2007, 09:16 PM.
    Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Well personally I'd say not before May, but then you are in Somerset and we are nearly in May. Doesnt' really answer your question, I know, but I'm covering myself! At 6" I'd say they either need planting out, or potting on (depending on what they're in at the mo I guess - mine are in loo rolls and just coming up; at 6" I reckon the roots would've come through the tubes and walked themselves to 'the patch'!)
    If you plant them out and it continues to be dry, make sure they get plenty of water - I think they're pretty thirsty.

Comment

Sweetcorn benefit from being planted lower than in their original pots., this is because the roots are very near to the surface and by planting further down it encourages new roots to come out from the stems and help anchor the plant against wind rock.

Comment

I'd pot on and then wait a while longer...try not to disturb the roots if poss!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for the advice

They're currently in paper pots, so it will be easy enough to plant on without disturbing the roots

Comment

I'm in Somerset too - and we planted out 12 baby sweetcorn (Minipop) plants into our allotment on Saturday.

I know its a risk, but they were getting so big, about 8inches and there was 2 plants per module - unfortunately i had to pull them apart which broke some of the roots, so will keep you updated as to whether they wither and die and or survive and thrive!

Comment

for next time... modules are not the best for sweetcorn, or any of the peas and beans. Try a deeper pot. And, when you sow two seeds together, you need to discard the weaker seedling (if it comes up) at an early stage rather than grow them both on.

I know, I know, it's too late now!

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                for next time... modules are not the best for sweetcorn, or any of the peas and beans. Try a deeper pot. And, when you sow two seeds together, you need to discard the weaker seedling (if it comes up) at an early stage rather than grow them both on.

I know, I know, it's too late now!
                I didn't plant them, i bought them from a garden centre ready grown.

Its our first year growing stuff and we've only had the allotment for about a month, so its all trial and error.

I am growing some sweetcorn from seed, but they're still small and i've only done one seed per module.

Comment

Oh well, silly garden centre then!

Last edited by Cutecumber; 24-04-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                    Oh well, silly garden centre then!

My thoughts exactly when i got them out of their modules - the roots were well and truely entangled and felt awful ripping them apart, but ho hum will see what happens!

Comment

Confused? stay with us you will be!

Yep; a bit early but, given where you are, I'd say don't bother potting on (although, I rarely disagree with Nicos)-use the plastic bottle cloche idea.- if you can find enough clear placcy bottles in a hurry- Maybe try a pub or restauant.

I use 3" pots- can't seem to get on with mouldy bogroll thing and find modules set 'em back (and they stick to capillary matting)

so that's all clear as mud then!

PS: For minipop i'd probably have planted both together!
                      Last edited by Paulottie; 24-04-2007, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Chris you probably know this, but I'll state the obvious and say that you need to plant them in a block, 4 rows of 4 plants say. Last year I had your problem, I started them too early, just plant them out and fleece them. My sweetcorn is still in the packet. Plan to start them straight into the ground mid of may and a few extras in pots for good measure.

Comment

I planted my Sweetcorn out this very day. Twenty in one bed, and nineteen in the other. All 12" apart, which will give at least one cob per plant, but I always get two.... !
                          I sprinkled a little of the slug pellets around the stem, and immediately covered the plant with a cut off pop bottle. Great minds really must 'think alike' today, eh?! I did look at our 10-day weather forecast, and the night-time temperatures are certainly up into the 10s and 12s for a week or so yet.

I hope it all goes well for you with your own corn....

Comment

I planted them out this evening, and came home and put a few more in pots in case.

Now I keep my fingers crossed that I haven't jumped the gun.

Comment

Well the ones we planted down at the allotment on Saturday are fine. My husband went down there last night to water and weed etc and they're all still there (haven't been eaten by badgers as one passing fellow allotment holder told us they would be!) and looking fine despite having to be ripped apart to be planted and having had some miserable and cold weather over these last few days.
                              Hopefully they'll take off now the weather is getting better and they can spread their roots!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X