Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to pull Garlic

Hi
    Planted elephant and other garlic in November, and they have now started to yellow on some of the leaves. When would be the best time to pull them up? Have had a furtle around the base of one and the bulb didn't look that big Should I leave it a little longer?

I would leave them a bit longer. They're supposed to stop growing and the leaves go dry and yellow/brown. Don't know whether that will happen with the wonderful weather we're having this year, but there's no point lifting them if there's no bulb.

Comment

Okay, thanks RL.

Comment

I've had to pull some of my container grown ones that the foliage had completely died on. They were tiddlers, but would not have grown any more without foliage anyway. Couldn't believe my eyes when the label said "September 2011", I never usually plant until November/December. Don't know what must have come over me! RL's right, if there's still some green foliage, leave them to see if they'll fatten up a bit.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

A couple of my Early Purple Wight had died down so I pulled them today. They had grown big and cloved up nicely, but there was some white basal rot, so I don't know how they will store

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            A couple of my Early Purple Wight had died down so I pulled them today. They had grown big and cloved up nicely, but there was some white basal rot, so I don't know how they will store
            Chop the bad bits off, and whizz the garlic in white wine vinegar and keep in the fridge. Or just use those bad ones first.

I looked at my garlic tonight and had to stop myself from digging any up; I'm giving them another month to make up for the rubbish weather.

Comment

hmm i planted mine in march (wasn't planning on doing any but someone brought some in at the local horticultural society and i couldn't resist) anyway, mine have very thick stems, but when i dug down i was expecting the bulb to be bigger (but there was something there - so all hope is not lost just yet), so i think i may have to leave mine another month like zaz.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the stem to dry out completely? (as ive got the local show in late August).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
                hmm i planted mine in march (wasn't planning on doing any but someone brought some in at the local horticultural society and i couldn't resist) anyway, mine have very thick stems, but when i dug down i was expecting the bulb to be bigger (but there was something there - so all hope is not lost just yet), so i think i may have to leave mine another month like zaz.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the stem to dry out completely? (as ive got the local show in late August).
                If they went in in March - I'd be looking at Sept to take them out. You might get away with a week before your show, they should dry out in a week. If it's dry!

Comment

thanks zaz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X