Garlic doesn't seem split

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic doesn't seem split

This is my first year growing garlic and I'd appreciate some advice. I planted it in late October - can't remember the type. It seems to be growing fine, stems are leek sized mostly and just a little brown now at tops. Yesterday I eased one up just to have a look - nice size, about the same as the ones I buy, maybe a little bigger, but I can't see the shape of cloves, it looks like one big bulb. Will these become clear as it dries? if it is one big clove can I still store and use it?
    We certainly had plenty of snow and frost, which I thought it needed to split.

They split at the last minute, and you wait till the foliage starts to die back, so now is probably too early this year.

Comment

Yes and yes.

It is said that to form individual cloves the garlic head needs a good frost.
      However, the cloves on your garlic(s) may still be forming and still a little undersized. You can still use a head of garlic that is only one clove, - avoids all that fiddly peeling.

Of course you know that 'elephant garlic' is not a garlic, but a modified leek.

Cheers, Tony.
      Last edited by Kleftiwallah; 07-06-2012, 04:37 PM. Reason: to shift the (s).
      Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

All good then - yippee! Many thanks.

Comment

Well, I ate my first garlic (of the year) last night ~ I didn't think it had separated but it had. Apart from having a leathery rather than papery skin, it was perfect (grown from a supermarket bulb)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Picture perfect! Wish mine looked like that.

Comment

Mine don't usually ~ I learned from last year that my soil really isn't good enough for garlic, so now I chuck on loads of garden compost, green manures, even weeds just chopped up and left as a mulch

This garlic was grown at school in the lasagne beds
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow four types of garlic in six rows 1. Lautrec Wight 2.Early Purple Wight 3.Tesco's finest something 4.Solent

The early purples and Lautrec got rust and are a bit orange yellow, the other didn't get rust (??), will the rusty ones fill up ok? Pulled one rusty and it is a nice size (kind'a supermarket size) but no cloves formed.

Comment

My wights got rust first this year too. When the plant is covered in rust it stops growing and the garlic head will stay the same size. If you let the garlic dry out properly you will see it form into the cloves (usually). Even Two Sheds Piccie above #5 shows a slight ridging, so if left instead of eating them green they would form small cloves. Hope this helps a little.
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Can definately see the cloves in yours two sheds - might have another look at mine tomorrow and compare the two, might even dig one up and dry it out, just out of curiosity, then leave the others for a few more weeks..... thanks to all of you for your advice, it really helps being able to ask questions like this and learn from you guys

Comment

I always plant garlic in autumn - but mine is still very green at the moment so don't think I will be harvesting for a while

Comment

Well, I dug up my first bulb of Early Purple Wight a couple of days ago. I cut it open today because I wanted to work out if it was time to dig the rest up.

It's definitely split into separate cloves - does that mean it's time to dig the rest up and dry them? It's not like a garlic bulb from the supermarket, but then it hasn't dried, so I'm not certain. But definitely has separate cloves.

I'm keen because I planted them in a stupid bed and would like to dig it up and replant as soon as possible!

Comment

Mine are up today and strung up to dry in the poly. The biggest by far are the early purple wight. Definitely one for next year.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Mine that were sown in soil are looking very green,so a few weeks to go on them yet ................

Those in pots near the back door have decided they are gonna get all rusty .......

Guess they will be pulled for "green" garlic this week
                            Attached Files
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X