Strawberries from seed.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries from seed.

Can anyone give me information on whether it is achievable to grow strawberries from seed, i have read in a book i have (growing Fruit by Alan Buckingham) that it is more wise to buy them as a plant as growing them by seed is not wise due to disease.
    ALSO, if i grow Strawberry seed now in a heated propergator (i know i am a couple of month late) but would they grow and fruit next year or am i wasting my time,
    This is only my second year growing so im still quite new to this but i didnt get any luck at all last year with strawberry plants so im pretty much determinrd it isnt going to beat me.
    Thank you for looking and appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
    Alison

There are some varieties of strawberries that are usually grown from bought seed. However, most strawberries are usually grown from runners, as it is much quicker and you are guaranteed to get the same variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison M View Post
      i didnt get any luck at all last year with strawberry plants
      They're easy!

Tell us what you did; and how it went wrong ...
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thankyou for replying to my thread, I had 2 attempts last year to sow Alpine strawberry seeds only one seed germinated and when it was a couple of inches in size i transplanted it into a grow bag in the greenhouse, it just never got any bigger it was healthy enough but didnt grow, which i thought was strange, so this year i thought id try again till i got out the seeds and realised they had to be sown by April. i still planted the seeds into a heated propergator but i was wondering if they will grow and fruit next year as i missed the fruiting season for this year or if im wasting my time,

Comment

forgot to mention i sown the seeds last year in a heated propergator on the windowsill.

Comment

I have never had any joy with strawberry seed, but the strawberry plants themselves have been a huge success sending out loads of runners and creating new plants with minimum effort required on my part.
            Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

i didnt get any luck at all last year with strawberry plants
              Ah, you said plants ...

I had 2 attempts last year to sow Alpine strawberry seeds
              ... but you meant seeds?

Strawberries are almost foolproof from runners (baby plants). Get some from a neighbour, or a seed swap, or eBay, or wherever: they're cheap and you can propagate your own plants for ever after
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X