Help with tomatoes and pumpkins needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tomatoes and pumpkins needed

I am VERY new to growing fruit and veg and am on a steep learning curve. I have recently planted out some Roma and Ildi tomatoes. Do I need to remove some of the side shoots? I have been told some varieties you do and some you don't. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Also I planted a pumpkin out and the slugs have had a really good go at it. Will it be ok, or do I need to start again? I have put in a couple of slug traps today and dug out a frog pond, which I will finish tomorrow. Any other tips for combating the dreaded slugs without chemicals if possible? Thanks guys xx

Both Roma and Ildi are cordon toms so the side shoots should be removed. Having said that I had a mate who grew Ildi as a bush very successfully.

As to slugs/snails I am a blue pellet man so afraid I can't help there.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

slugs - salt, bran, beer traps, scissors, eggshells, oats, vaseline, copper [slow worms if you're lucky enough] ....take your pick

Comment

Frogs prefer worms to slugs ... sorry

( I keep several planks of wood on my lotty, dotted about. The slugs congregate underneath, I flip 'em over, give them a good salting ... job's a good un)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Chooks? of course, like the frogs prefering worms to slugs, the chooks may prefer your plants to slugs as well.
          I'd just drink a bit more beer so that you had plenty left over for the slug traps.
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I was eyeballing some wool pellets for slugs in the garden centre yesterday - they looked very interesting. I may have to try them out.
            March is the new winter.

Comment

Cheap t3sco beer in ramekins. Plank's as ts said and an after dark torchlit massacre
              Last edited by RedThorn; 27-05-2012, 10:45 AM.
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X