Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out courgettes

Hi all

Some conflicting reading later, I have planted my courgettes out. They have been staggered in a large bed and have enough room to sprawl and do "their thing". However, I'm not sure whether I've planted them correctly (if there is such a way) do they need to be planted on top of a 'hillock' or is it okay for them to just be planted into a hole as I have done...? they seem to be doing alright at my last beady eyed check. Any advice welcome from other courgette-eers.

I just plant them in a hole. There is a 4 litre plastic milk bottle close with the bottom chopped off that I pour water enriched with fertilizer into every week or so.

Comment

Good idea, LB1. I will do same. ; )
      Last edited by Normans Mum; 22-05-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

How close do milk bottles need to be? Roughly I mean - I have a 4 x 12 bed for example and I've been saving up 4 pint bottles
        Proud member of the Nutters Club.
        Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

you put the milk bottle next to the plant, it's only for direct adding of water so you can still find the origin of the plant, and the plants need to be about a meter apart....

Comment

Ah ok - so effectively one per plant. Thanks!
            Proud member of the Nutters Club.
            Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Normans Mum View Post
              do they need to be planted on top of a 'hillock'
              That all depends on whether your soil floods or dries out. If it floods and stays boggy, plant them on a small hill.

Otherwise, plant them in a shallow bowl (they're very thirsty plants)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ive planted 10 plants in buckets and growbags this year. This is my first year with the greenhouse so just a trial, not sure how its going to turn out! but they have flowers, so far so good.
                Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/growyourowngrub

Comment

Originally posted by growyourowngrub View Post
                  Ive planted 10 plants in buckets and growbags this year. This is my first year with the greenhouse so just a trial, not sure how its going to turn out! but they have flowers, so far so good.
                  You are going to have courgettes coming out of your ears, I grow 3 plants every year and a family of 3-4 people can be fed very well just on this throughout the season.

Comment

I usually grow half a dozen or so and yes, usually get loads, but I had very few last year (mind you, it was a poor year for me all round). Make sure you keep up a regular watering regime, especially if they're in containers.
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Last year I grew them on the plot. 5 plants gave me 40kg of courgettes ................. and yes, I am still eating ratatouille from the freezer, and pickled courgettes and courgette/lemon jelly preserve.
                      Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                      Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

@ kaiya

Originally posted by taff View Post
                        you put the milk bottle next to the plant, it's only for direct adding of water so you can still find the origin of the plant, and the plants need to be about a meter apart....
                        Yep, this is what I do. One bottle per plant put in about 6 inches (perhaps a bit less) from the plant itself at thesame time the courgette is planted out/sown so there is no root damage by digging the hole later.

Comment

Knew I was missing a trick. Milk bottles! If only I had thought of that yesterday when I put out our recycling. I was just going to save squash and pop bottles. But since milk bottles are of an increased frequency.

I put out my triffids yesterday as my Ma told me to. Was scared that they might get nipped by the birdies, like cabbages might. Were still there today. Next mission is to sink the bottles and newspaper mulch a la Aunty Zazen.
                          Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Hi just joined forum today, am new to allotmenting have sown courgettes in conservatory and wondering what size should I let them get to before planting out on the allotment. Also are they prone to slugs /snails as the slimy beasts seem to eat everything I grow.

Comment

Originally posted by horticultural_hobbit View Post
                              Knew I was missing a trick. Milk bottles!
                              NO !

They aren't UV stable and will shatter into 1000 pieces after a season
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X