Bolting calabrese

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolting calabrese

Hi - I'm growing calabrese in the tunnel but didn't realise it would bolt in high temperatures. It is sending up spears but the little heads are far apart if you know what I mean. I have them in large pots. So was wondering if there is anything I can do to save them? I guess putting them outside would help but can it reverse the bolting? Can I still harvest the spears? Or is it doomed? The spears havn't flowered yet.
    Thanks a lot

My calabrese bolted when they were still tiny seedlings in modules in the greenhouse............

(sorry, I realise this doesn't help you Redser)

Comment

Hi Redser. I'm new to all this as well, but personally I'd put your pots outside (probably harden them off a bit first?), and cut off whatever florets you have... at least you'd get a taste that way! Plus I believe calabrese will throw up new shoots if you chop its head off, so you may even get a few more coming through later. I'm guessing though . I'm sure someone with lots of experience will be along shortly to put you straight .
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Once they've started bolring I don't think you can stop em!

You can certainly eat the 'spears' (prior to flowering) so just keep cutting them to prolong whatever harvest you get.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Are we talking about calabrese (single big head) or sprouting broccoli (many sprouting heads/florets)
          ?

Bolting means going to flower & seed: you can't stop it once it's started
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'll chop the main one off and put it outside and see what happens.
            Two_sheds, according to the seed packet it's Broccoli - green calabrese. It's Lidl brand. Says 'tasty main head with smaller spears'. I'm hoping I caught it in time to get some sort of florets off it.
            Cheers

Comment

I have to say it seem very early for this to be happening. My calabrese is still in 6" pots waiting for a bed to clear of spring cabbage.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                Thanks for the replies, I'll chop the main one off and put it outside and see what happens.
                Two_sheds, according to the seed packet it's Broccoli - green calabrese. It's Lidl brand. Says 'tasty main head with smaller spears'. I'm hoping I caught it in time to get some sort of florets off it.
                Cheers
                Chop it off and eat it. Not sure why you've got it in pots though.

Comment

We're not big on brassicas so I havn't left a bed for them. Was reading a few places where people grew them successfully in pots so thought I'd give it a bash. Here's a photo, was surprised how fast they came on myself. The are outside now so will see how it goes.
                  Cheers

Attached Files

Comment

People do grow a calabrese in pots, a single plant to a 10" pot. Looking at your pic my first thought is the plant is far to small for this to be happening without a cause. Could be the plant thinks its dying and is therefore trying to reproduce before that happens. Is it root bound?. Could be it was to warm and thought summer was here.

I would cut the spear off repot and leave it outside you may just get lucky.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I lost quite a few over wintered brassicas to early bolting in the tunnel when we had that week of hot weather back in March but I've not even sown any calabrese yet - usually do the first lot in a week or two for an autumn harvest. Most of my other brassicas are still in 3" pots and won't be planted out for a bit - well apart from the over wintered spring cabbages which are heading up nicely and taste luverly

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks. I would be inclined to say that it is the heat of the tunnel. It's in a very exposed spot so even during a bad day, if the sun comes out the temp rockets and then the tunnel holds the heat well. It is not long in that pot so it's not rootbound. Will see how it goes and let you know if anything interesting develops Going to put it in a bit of shade too to keep it cool.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X