Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to plant courgettes and how big will they grow

Hi everyone

I'm quite a new gardener and thought i'd try growing courgettes. My courgettes are just seedlings at the moment and i'm thinking of planting them betreen other plants and trees in my garden. How big will they grow? I don't want them to take over the other plants (shrubs and roses)

Thanks

A lot depends on what type/variety of courgette you have sown. Probably get about 2 feet high and 3 feet wide for the bush varieties.

Comment

Then how about growing them up a tripod of canes. Rough barked poles are better still, you will need to show the plant where the structure is and keep tyeing the main stem to the canes/poles every six inches or so. The courgettes stay clean and you can spot them rather than them turning into marrows.

You know it makes sense! Cheers, Tony.
      Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

thanks tony, i'll try that

Comment

I usually plant the bush ones in corners created by wonky lines. As you'll need to check them daily for fruit, you want to make sure they're not tucked in the middle of somewhere.
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Kleftiwallah View Post
            Then how about growing them up a tripod of canes.
            That will only work if they're a trailing variety: you can't make a bush courgette climb for love nor money
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I planted some of mine in the flower border last year (sowed too many). Although they are large plants they didn't bully other plants there too much - however, my border is very new so the other plants were only small clumps of lobelia etc.
              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X