Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planting rasberries, currants and gooseberries now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planting rasberries, currants and gooseberries now?

Hello,

I went into garden centre today and they had bare rooted raspberries, currants (black, red, white) and gooseberries half price. So I bought some as they didn't have planting instructions on.

Have got home and looked in my trusty allotment guide and online, and says I'm not supposed to plant later than March. I have googled and can't see any reason why it would be detrimental to plant them now.

Most of the canes are dormant, a few have green sprouts on them. Was thinking as weather more like March anyway and hope for the best.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Apricot

Give them a good soak and stick them in the ground after that. You may not get a crop this year but you can look forward to yummy berries in the future

Comment

Like ABP says, give the roots a soak overnight and get them planted asap.

Comment

Will do, fingers crossed that at least some survive!

Comment

The usual recommendation for planting in March is because the plants become active and easily dry-out if their roots are damaged while they are in leaf.
          But modern cold storage (and sometimes a long cold winter like we just had) extends the bare-root season.

I have occasionally needed to move raspberries while they're growing, and, if done carefully, there is no problem.

I suggest go ahead and plant them in the normal way, making sure that they have good soil and don't go short of water (but don't drown them!).

Comment

must admit i had bare root one and i managed to get a very small crop same year so you never know

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X