Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Dwarf French beans, gone wrong, gone right?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Dwarf French beans, gone wrong, gone right?

So I sowed dwarf French beans I think about 2 months ago with the intention of putting them in the tunnel for an early crop. I put a few up 2 or 3 weeks ago and they are surviving and flowering. The rest are still in the root trainers waiting for the weather to pick up a bit. But I'm amazed at how they are doing. Just thought I'd share a couple of photos in case people thought it was a viable way of getting an early indoor crop in future. They are no bother to look after, just sit in the window and give them some water every 3 days or so. Will start to feed them now. The root trainers hold 32 plants.

Attached Files
    Last edited by redser; 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM.

If it works - great! I wouldn't knock it, though feeding is a good idea. They are obviously healthy and getting plenty of light.
    Of course, they are flowering so prolifically because they are stressed (trying to produce seed as they know they may cop it any minute!) due to root restriction and you may not get more than one crop from them. If you have room on your windowsill for some sort of trough, they would probably do even better!
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Wow, much better than I'd have expected ! Hmm...might try them in a trough...ta for the idea !
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thanks Creemteez, that makes sense. SOme will go to the tunnel border but I'll keep some for the experiment.
        snohare, I would imagine the root trainers and air pruning have something to do with it. Must untangle one and take a peek inside at the roots.

Comment

What variety are they, redser ?
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

They're called Safari. Apparently they are the type you commonly find at the supermarket

Comment

Bean (Dwarf French) Safari Seeds - Vegetable Seeds - Vegetables - Gardening - Suttons Seeds and Plants

It's these

Comment

hmmmm - i wish my beans where as healthy as those - i never seem to do well with french beans

Comment

Beginners luck. They haven't been outside at all, maybe no check in growth is the key? They are obviously very close to eachother too so maybe they like the support?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X