Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erk! Asparagus Just Arrived!! Help!

Bit of a problem!
    My asparagus crowns just arrived and I'm in a spot of bother.

1 - my raised beds are a few days yet away from completion - I've been advised to plant my asparagus crowns in a planter for the time being to stop them drying out - what do you think?

2 - how the hell do I plant them? How deep? Do I just plant the whole thing vertically? Each crown has 'danglers' about 12" long!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hi, just keep them damp, till your ready to plant and the crown needs to be 6inches from the top of the soil level, plant on a ridge with roots [long danglers]
    hanging down sread out & keep area wet do not let it dry out, just cover tops then when growth starts keep putting more soil on top till reach level of bed.hope this helps you and good luck.
    Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

Hi we have just planted our asparagus crowns with danglers and was just as scared with what to do with them. Our details that came with them suggested we store them in a cool dark place wrapped in wet newspaper which we did for a couple of days, we ahve planted but not shooted yet so cannot say whether we have done any damage, we also soaked for an hour or so before planting

Comment

I watched Geoff Hamilton planting Asparagus the other day on tv. He chucked them in a bucket of water whilst he was getting sorted, so they didn't dry out. He then pulled the dangly bits (roots) apart - sort of reminded me of how you'd do with a mop head to make parted hair. He placed it in the middle of the ridge with the roots going off both sides ( still sort of parted). Ended up looking like a soil trench with wigs. Anyway then he covered it over. Just wish he'd have done from seed like I'm growing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X