Best Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Runner Beans

Gardening Which has published their best buys for Runner Beans which may be of interest.
    White Lady, heaviest crop.
    Red Flame, heavy crops.

Runner/ French Bean cross. Developed by Tozer of the UK. Look like Runner Beans but do not need pollinating as Runners do, so you could grow in a green house for a very early crop.
    Moonlight, white flowers, and Firestorm, red flowers. Not as heavy a crop as the top two runners.

Originally posted by realfood View Post
    Gardening Which has published their best buys for Runner Beans which may be of interest.
    White Lady, heaviest crop.
    Red Flame, heavy crops.

Runner/ French Bean cross. Developed by Tozer of the UK. Look like Runner Beans but do not need pollinating as Runners do, so you could grow in a green house for a very early crop.
    Moonlight, white flowers, and Firestorm, red flowers. Not as heavy a crop as the top two runners.
    Hi, thanks for that. Did Which? say they were the heaviest AND tastiest runner beans?
    Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

White lady - bought from T&M with a voucher a few months ago - none germinated

Moonlight - both with swaps and new seeds bought a few months ago - none germinated

Old HSL seeds - 6 years old and found in a box last year - germinated.

I know which I'm growing this year!

Comment

I tried White Lady and Moonlight last year and had no beans. I know the weather made a contribution, but this year I'm going back to Scarlet Emperor.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          White lady - bought from T&M with a voucher a few months ago - none germinated

Moonlight - both with swaps and new seeds bought a few months ago - none germinated

Old HSL seeds - 6 years old and found in a box last year - germinated.

I know which I'm growing this year!

Mmmm, yes, nuff said!

Comment

I have grown the old favourite 'Scarlet Emperor' for years - always a good crop, tasty and stringless IF you pick them fairly small. Tried 'St. George' (T&M) last season (in a neighbours garden) - lovely flowers, huge crop, but tasteless!

This year my neighbour gets Emperors and I am growing climbing French beans and Bridgwater beans (heritage variety)

a-a

Comment

Last year I had enormous yields of both White Lady and Moonlight

We eat them dried, as butter beans
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

oooh why did this thread have to be started - i seem to grow different varieties every year and this year i was going to to with enorma - but im not sure now hahaha, im wanting a heavycropping variety that also grows fairly long when left - so that i can enter them in the show hmmm, maybe ill grow two varieties

Comment

How can the man who runs the Pea and bean swap grow only one type of runner bean?

Comment

because he knows that runners cross polinate - and i was thinking about saving some for seed, however ive been thinking about saving runner seed for years, but its irresistable to pick them when they are ready
                    Last edited by Matt94; 27-04-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I grew moonlight and white lady last year. Moonlight set more beans, but DD liked the white lady better (she eats them raw).
                      This year I'm growing moonlight and firestorm, if I ever get them planted . I'm going to cover buds on one plant of each to save for seed, as they could still cross pollinate if bees get to them, according to some reports anyway, so better safe than sorry. I might save some unprotected ones and see if there is any difference.
                      Last edited by BarleySugar; 27-04-2012, 08:58 PM.
                      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Still not sure which ones I will be doing tried St. George they did rubbish. The year before I tired Aintree got loads but tasteless. Been looking at wisley magic love the name and lady Di.

Comment

Scarlet Emperor did well for me first year I grew and tasted nice so I stuck with them and had 3 years of good returns, however this year i am dropping them altogether for frenchies... for shame.
                          My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                            Scarlet Emperor did well for me first year I grew and tasted nice so I stuck with them and had 3 years of good returns, however this year i am dropping them altogether for frenchies... for shame.
                            Why altogether - why not grow both?

Comment

I usually grow Scarlet Emperor because I like the taste and I get lots of beans and am growing them again this year. When I read this thread I wondered whether to give a few "White" beans a try. Now I'm still not sure.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X