Decent cider/juice from crabapples?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent cider/juice from crabapples?

Hi, has anyone made apple juice/cider using crab apples?
    I have a large tree and still have pots of jam etc from last year so I fancy trying juice this year.Do you have to buy an apple press? Will it taste gritty (the jelly/jam is a bit of a gritty consistency). Would it make decent cider? Answers much appreciated, please nicely!
    What is this life, if full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare
    . . .[/I][/I]

I always make jelly (rather than 'jam') from crab apples, including the ornamental ones. If you strain it to make jelly there should be nothing 'gritty' about it.
    Not sure about making drinks, because there might be too much tannin. If you combine other apples with the crab apples, you might get a very nice wine or cider.
    CJJ Berry has a recipe for apple wine and suggests that 1 lb of crab apples out of every 10 lb total makes a nice wine. You could probably do a decent cider with 50:50, if you like 'real cider' (which is a bit harsh for a lot of people).
    Juice might need sweetening to be nice.
    Some cider-maker is sure to come along soon with a better answer, but I guess you WOULD need a press for anything other than an apple-wine.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

crab apple juice...

Thanks Hilary.
      Any suggestions regarding apple press? Are there any reasonably priced ones out there?
      And do you have any other suggestions as to what use I could put the crab apples to...?
      . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

search online for homebrew shops - you might be able to hire an apple press
        the only apple presses i've seen online are the vigo ones (i have one) - you can buy them online - you might be able to get a secondhand one from ebay etc
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Farmer G.
          Have you ever tried using crab apples?
          What do you make with your apple press?
          . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

We've got this one - Traditional Fruit and Apple Press (6 Litre) - but it's gone up in price quite a bit form what we paid last year. Worked well but a scratter would have been helpful so OH is going to make one before next autumn.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I make a variety of condiments using crab apples as a base, and planning lots more this coming year. Mint jelly is an obvious one. Hoping to make lavender jelly, if I cen get hold of some nice lavender and store it until crab-apple season. Sloe-and-crab-apple jelly is delicious with lamb, mutton, venison or beef, and even better with strong cheese. If all goes well with my basil growing I will do a basil jelly, and definitely sage.
              Basically, if it is a good flavour, you should be able to make flavoured crab-apple jelly from it (and personally I wouldn't bother using them for anything else).
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X