No announcement yet.

What is this on my baby Basil plants ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this on my baby Basil plants ?

Hi,

I'm growing a variety of herbs and a few toms in my greenhouse and have a bunch of young basil plants that have started showing gold coloured spots on the leaves. The spots are penetrating through the leaf. It looks just like gold paint !

I've been picking the affected leaves off, but I would like to nip this in the bud with a suitable treatement before it gets out of hand.

Any ideas on what it might be please ?

Attached Files

Aneng, where are you ? I've a feeling it's not UK ...?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Aneng, where are you ? I've a feeling it's not UK ...?
      Swansea ! - Though with the amount of rain we get, you could be forgiven for thinking it was in Atlantis.

Comment

Hi Aneng, welcome to the Vine. Could you add your location to your profile please? Then we will know every time you post that you are in sunny Swansea.

As for your plants, are they growing indoors or outside?

Comment

Hi, Added my location as requested. The plants are all in a greenhouse, growing in pots.

Comment

I get this on my basil grown in the greenhouse, I'm not sure what it is perhaps mildew, but I just use the leaves that are unblemished.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Hello Aneng and welcome from another South Walian! Why don't you Introduce yourself to everyone and tell us a little about yourself and your garden. We're all very nosey!!

Comment

Originally posted by aneng View Post
                Hi,

I'm growing a variety of herbs and a few toms in my greenhouse and have a bunch of young basil plants that have started showing gold coloured spots on the leaves. The spots are penetrating through the leaf. It looks just like gold paint !

I've been picking the affected leaves off, but I would like to nip this in the bud with a suitable treatement before it gets out of hand.

Any ideas on what it might be please ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28538[/ATTACH]
                Does the damage start on top of or underneath the leaf? If on top then it could be scorch, if underneath then probably insect damage.

Comment

I think it's baby snails: they're grazing off a portion of the leaf but not whole bites, having only baby teeth

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I think it's baby snails: they're grazing off a portion of the leaf but not whole bites, having only baby teeth
                    Do they leave their baby teeth under the pillow when they fall out?

Comment

No, under potting benches

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X