Purple Sprouting Broccoli (PSB)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli (PSB)

Every year I begrudge the area taken up by this plant and the long time its in the ground from sowing to harvest........................

At about this time of year, every year, I thank heaven that I perseverd with it.

It has to be one of my favourite vegetables and comes to fruition at a time when very little else in the allotment is ready.

Up til now I've had it for breakfast one day and for supper this evening. A platefull of it, nothing else, just butter and pepper.......Yum!

Note to self................must sow some more for next year!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

i sowed it for the 1st time last yr and have loved eating this month. will def grow more of it this yr. i grew claret. going to grow early purple sprouting and a later variety too
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Yes, I had some tonight with a leek and potato casserole. A great veg to have for the the early season.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It is so worthwhile - a gorgeous vegetable! (Nice with cheese sauce - extra strong cheddar, English mustard - but then most veg are!)
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Last year was the first year I sowed it and as Snadger says you need patience...
          ...but it is so worth it....yummy...
          I gave some to a friend and she raved about it so much, had to give her some more!!
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            ...and the long time its in the ground from sowing to harvest.
            How long is that?

I have no room to sow anything else at the moment, but could I sow PSB after something else has been pulled...sorry, harvested...in summer, or would that be too late for a spring harvest next year?
            Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
              How long is that?

I have no room to sow anything else at the moment, but could I sow PSB after something else has been pulled...sorry, harvested...in summer, or would that be too late for a spring harvest next year?
              I think you could get away with sowing it now, then growing it in a big pot until you've harvested your spuds, then put it where they were. That's what I'm planning on doing, anyway.
              Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
              By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
              While better men than we go out and start their working lives
              At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Pa I have two types of PSB Summer Purple and a later variety whose name slips my memory. The Summer Purple seed was set on 25/02 and now resdies in 3" pots. As it gets root bound I will gradually increase the size of the pots until it sits in flower buckets. Then after my second earlies spuds have been harvested it will go into their dustbins. Harvest should start Sept/Oct and last through to Feb. The later variety will be sown soon and the same proceedure followed but they go in the main crop bins. Harvest should start in Jan.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

MBE snap as they say

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                    I think you could get away with sowing it now, then growing it in a big pot until you've harvested your spuds, then put it where they were. That's what I'm planning on doing, anyway.
                    absolutely - sow now, keep it in pots, plant out later in the year when other veggies are harvested ....
                    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      MBE snap as they say

Colin
                      I think I learned that from you in the first place.
                      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Right, thanks, I'll leave it until I get an allotment, I just don't have the room for any more plants to be 'on the go' right now. Well either that or try it next year and sow less of other stuff.
                        Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

One of my most favourite veg... steamed and served with a dippy fried egg...alas last year I was crap so have none
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                            absolutely - sow now, keep it in pots, plant out later in the year when other veggies are harvested ....
                            This is a good idea, never thought of that Didn't grow any last year but this year have plants in the glass shed about 3" tall, and I won't have space in the ground for them for ages. Big pots it is. Thanks FG
                            Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I have always thought I hadn't room for PSB, but I have found some spare ground that lies empty over winter, so this is an ideal way to fill it. Thank you very much, will start some off at the weekend
                              Last edited by Florence Fennel; 13-04-2012, 06:30 AM.
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X