courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courgettes

I've just asked this on new shoots but thought here might be better - sorry to repeat!

I've sown courgette seeds for first time (brought in small plants before). The packet says need high temps to germinate - will they be ok on a window sill in full sun? Bit worried might cool off for them at night - any tips?

Thanks

Should be Ok on windowsill, but do you have an airing cupboard? They need warmth to germinate but not light until they are above the surface of the compost, I know in these days of multipoint water heaters not many of us have airing cupboards, but when I had one I used to germinate most of my seeds there.

Comment

Mine came in ok on the kitchen windowsill. They're lovely juicy looking seed leaves with the first true leaves just budding in the centre. They have that fresh 'squash' smell too. Lovely things.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I think they'll germinate fine on the windowsill Jo T. I've never had a problem getting them to come - up in a few days.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We set 2 types of courgette and 3 types of winter squash last Monday afternoon and already most of them are now strong baby plants. They're in an unheated proporgator on a very sunny window sill.

So yours should be fine.

Comment

tip:Sow the seeds on edge, it stops them rotting.

Don't want to hijack thread but I'm growing F1 tosca. Last year we had rambling plants which I forgot were Fothergill's f1Tosca as I mislaid the packet which I've now rediscovered and it indeed states "vigorous open habit". I brought some more seeds from Dobies specifically because the catalogue says "bush type- compact growing" I am now confused, can the same type have different habits?

Comment

Hi LJ, I was very pleased with the fruits for flavour and also pow.mild resistannce of plants(R they a fruit?...anyhow). I grew defender one year and I found it so much more convinient to have a few smaller compact plants and we still had LOADS. I will be growing butternuts later in the season & the need space for that. Dobies didn't seem to have defender any more so I believed what it said in catalogue (mmm silly me!). maybe I better make a frame to grow them up. What can I use?

Comment

Thanks Lesley. The reason I have been using Dobies is our Garden club 50% discount. Following link now- as it so much better to buy by weight for many things.

Comment

I grew Tosca last year, very neat but still pretty productive. A couple of plants would be plenty. Re the germination thing, I've never had any problems getting them started on a window ledge or greenhouse. They come up pretty quickly so I'd be a bit dodgy about putting them in a propogator cos if you didn't catch them as soon as they started they'd be pushing the cover off!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks, Ladies. I think I can assume that they should be compact then. Great! and whatever Fothergills sold were not Tosca.

LJ thanks again for the site address. I found some tomertillo seeds- been meaning to try those for a couple of years now.

Comment

Planted some tomatillo seeds a couple of weeks ago - they all came up within a couple of days and are doing great guns. Never grown them before so will have to see if they crop much for me.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurrance about the window sill - fingers crossed they'll be up soon

Comment

I planted my courgettes & squashes a 10 days a go then went away thinking they would've just emerged by the time I got back. However it must have been a bit too warm for them and they have gone mad! I now have lots of plants with 4-6inch stems and a couple of seed leaves perched on top .

I know that peppers and tomatos can be re potted up to the seed leaves but was wondering if i can do the same to the courgettes and squahes? Any advice welcome, thanks

Comment

I think they might rot off. I've never taken the chance but maybe someone has.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yeah, I've done it before and it seemed to work OK - you've nothing to lose anyway!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X