Walnuts. To be or not to be!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnuts. To be or not to be!

I love walnuts and wanted to grow my own walnut tree however I don't think I could confine it to a pot or have the space to grow it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any walnut trees in the Wirral area I could go and collect walnuts from when they are ready?

If not then any idea on identifying the trees for autumn?
    Winter is coming

This is where I would run screaming as I have a massive allergy to walnuts - but would love to grow the tree.

This is worth reading

As to whether there are any in your area, take the picture and go for a walk when the time is right - great excuse to get out
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Don't bother, the squirrels will have beaten you to it. I've tried and failed. Walnut trees grow huge by the way. No way it will stay in a pot.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

and don't it's roots stop other plants from growing - or have I just dreamt that

Comment

We have a massive walnut tree in our garden. I'll bet the squirrells get at least 80% of the walnuts and the corvids take half of what's left. The few we do get are delicious though.
          It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

They can grow enormously and its difficult to grow anything under them....I have one on the edge of my garden on the border with my neighbours but we keep it well cut back.
            If you want to collect walnuts in the autumn book a holiday down here to SW France - there are walnut trees everywhere. The rule for picking walnuts that are on private land from the ground where they have fallen is that you are allowed to pick only what you can eat at that time ...whilst you are walking under the tree...so you need to keep walking and collecting.
            I'm not mad keen on them ..like them in a salad but dont like them as a snack prefer cashews.
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              and don't it's roots stop other plants from growing - or have I just dreamt that
              Yes they have an allelopathic effect on planting around it. Juglone is the chemical it secretes into the soil.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Don't suppose Juglone holds back couch grass, i'd buy a carton and water it in all around my edges.
                "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
                  Don't suppose Juglone holds back couch grass, i'd buy a carton and water it in all around my edges.
                  By God - think I might join you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X