Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicory "Brussels Witloof"

Hello everybody -
    I'm trying this chicory for the first time this year.
    Has anybody had any success growing this from seed in a raised bed? Or must it really be sown in the ground.
    Is there any benefit in propagating the seeds indoors first rather than sowing and thinning out?
    I also seem to remember reading somewhere that you could force these in pots quite quickly and easily?
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

I'm currently forcing these in my kitchen. Last year I sowed the seeds in modules in the greenhouse, transplanted baby plants into the ground (a raised bed would do equally well). Then in oct/nov (when the leaves died down) I dug them up and roughly potted them up 2-3 per pot and shoved them in the greenhouse. About 3-4 weeks before I wanted chicons I brought the pots into the house and into the cupboard under the sink where it was warm and dark to force them. Lots of 'stages' but nothing too taxing and a good veg to have in the winter (although the children didn't appreciate the bitter flavour!). Gave the plumber a surprise too when he went looking for the stockcock...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X