Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry & Blackcurrants

Hi
    I bought some Autumn Bliss raspberry canes, together with some blackcurrant canes this year, and they have been planted around 3 weeks now. The blackcurrant canes I know wont fruit until next year, but have burst into bud and have quite a bit of greenery already. My raspberries have buds that have yet to burst. They are in the same spot, same compost, same size containers.

Is this OK, or should I be doing anything else.

Also one of the raspberry canes got snapped but instead of throwing it, I have left it in the pot (it is about 2" high) Shall I leave it in the pot and see if anything happens, or is it really unlikely it will grow now.

Am relatively new to all this gardening lark, want to do loads, but only have a small garden and even smaller knowledge!!!!!
    Thanks for your help!!!
    8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Since autumn fruiting raspberries produce fruit on this years canes you should be fine - remember to cut down all canes that have fruited in late winter/early spring next year to force the new growth - you may get a reduced crop otherwise.
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

[QUOTE=daisychook;89320]Hi
      The blackcurrant canes I know wont fruit until next year, but have burst into bud and have quite a bit of greenery already. QUOTE]

Dont be to sure I put in new canes last year and they fruited, not a lot but better than a poke in the eye I think that most canes you get are 2 yr
      It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Hi

Just an update, my rasberries (autumn bliss) have done absolutely nothing. Is this normal??? My blackcurrant as I said before has loads of greenery. I may as well have planted a bamboo stick!!! :-((

Can anyone else say if my raspberries (planted about 4 weeks ago) which were bare rooted (i followed the nstuctions and soaked them for an hour then planted them) should by now have some greenery??

Or am I impatient, and they just take their time?

Thank you!!!! (as alwasy!!!)
        Daisy

Comment

I've planted some Autumn Rasps - Allgold and Galante, a couple have a few leaves from shoots already on the cane but other than that nothing yet and mine have been in about a month.
          I live in hope though! my summer fruiting ones are just starting to produce some growth so I guess it's only fair that the Autumn ones are a bit behind them!
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I have been given some Autumn fruiting canes by a friend. I think they were dug up last year and dumped into a rubble sack (open at the top) and they appear to be very healthy and putting on spans of growth! Quite bizzare! Am going to plant them out into the garden - just hope they take the shock of being in soil instead of plastic in their stride!

Comment

I'd leave them Daisy, give them another month at least.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, I wont chuck them away yet then...!!!! was almost giving up...!

I have to remember this gardening lark isnt all like 'Ground Force' all done in a day!!!
                Unless of course I staple the raspberries I bought in Tescos yesterday to my canes!!!

Comment

Hi Daisychook
                  I have 5 raspberry canes, they looked like sticks poking out of the ground for what seemed like forever, even when a friend said hers had sprouted, mine still took 4 wks more before 1 started to sprout. I think in total I waited about 2 months. At the moment, I still only have 1, but I can see that 3 others are on their way.
                  You should have little areas on the sticks which look like joins (?!) keep an eye on those and you should see these areas developing in the time leading up to the 'sprouting' of the leaves.

Comment

Thanks TinyVine
                    Need to have more patience (shall write 1000 times before bed!!)

I do realise gardening is a 10 month of the year job, and no instance results!!!

I planted cabbage, lettuce, beet and carrots last week, the cabbage seeds have germinated, the lettuce is thinking about it, the beet and carrots are still asleep and forgotten what they are there for!!

Have managed to keep 4 tomato plants alive for two whole weeks now, so shall now apply to BBC and say 'move over Monty!!!' (I dont think so!!)

The advice and help on this forum is great.

Daisy

Comment

I hate to tell you this but generally I find that gardening is a 12 month of the year job! The two months where tramping over the ground seems inadvisable are spent tramping over the ground to garner the overwintering veg, cleaning the greenhouse, washing pots ready for next year, reading catalogues and ordering seeds, dreaming quietly about the year gone and the new one comming!

I'm sure it is a disease with remision in winter and full symptoms in summer!

Enjoy the 'illness' and all that you grow

Terry

Comment

PS if you want the closest thing to an 'instant' veg - grow a radish! Garden fireworks - you can almost see them growing!

Comment

Thanks Terry!

Much excitement this morning, cabbage, lettuce, beetroot AND carrots all showing signs of growth. More luck than judgement, but its a fab feeling!!!

Happy gardening!!

Daisy

Comment

i think I'll put in a vouch for rocket, it has shot up this year and I've potted it on, whereas the spinach next to it is like daisychook said, must be sleeping!

Comment

The Autumn Bliss strawberries that you buy as canes look as if they are just sticks when you plant them. Last year i baught ten and boobed by not splitting them straight away. This year i have split them before they got going and added another ten to make quite a large area. The cutback canes from last year are already romping away and leaving the new ones in their wake.We were still picking raspberries from them last year in November. The crop wasn't really heavy and we found that this variety does tend to be a bit hard to get off of the stalk whole.Hope this post helps a little

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X