Asparagus question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus question

I went to look at my newly planted asparagus bed the other day and joy of joy's we have spears up .

I know that I can't pick any but should I be earthing them up? If so how far as the spears are getting on for 6" high.

Thanks Caroline

According to the book I was reading you should aim to have the crowns about 6" below the surface, so as to protect them from careless knives and frost!

No cutting in the first year - boring! - limit yorself to 1 in 3 spears in year two and then cut until no later than end of May there after. Leaving all remaining spears to grow and feed the plant for next season.

It recomends that all weeding should be done by hand as the spears are fragile and that a 2" top dressing of manure or good compost at Christmas will help protect against late frosts and also feed the plant for the spring cutting. After cutting in June a general fertaliser should be applied.

Does it show that I've only just started my asparagus bed?

Hopefully someone who has been growing years will show up soon and tell me if the book is right!

Terry
    Last edited by TPeers; 15-04-2007, 02:57 PM. Reason: dyslexia - Richard
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

The plants seem to be pretty symathetic- We earthed up to 6" ++ the first year and they were more than happy!
      You really should go against the book advice and pick one or two or three ( one from each plant!) and just taste the future......
      Oh boy!!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Tempting, should they ever break the surface! Put in ten crowns in three varieties an early a mid and a late.

Apparently I can expect to harvest about 1kg from each crown for the next 20 years - can't wait!
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Hi Caroline,
          There was a thread last week (page 2) where we discussed this. In short, yes, but theres no hurry. i'd let a few more come up -you want them to get going.

Comment

Many thanks all, I'll try to find last weeks thread (sorry to have duplicated). Then wait for a second spear on a crown and maybe try that .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X