Why grow currants??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why grow currants??

Currants seem to be very popular to buy in the shops and Im kinda tempted to try one but I cant think of the last time I had anything containing currants!
    So those that grow them.....what do you do with them??

I don't grow them but if I did......blackcurrant jam, redcurrant muffins, mixed fruit pie. I'm sure the list could be as long as you wanted it to be. They're rich in vitamin C and antioxidants too if I'm not mistaken.
    Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

You either like them or you don't...like marmite. So if you don't think you'll use them don't bother and just grow something you know you'll use.

I've never been a big fan of currants. Just too small and fidley but they do make a good jelly or jam. Easiest way to use them would be as Pa says, mixed with apples in pies and crumbles or in fresh baked muffins.

Comment

They make excellent cordial too

Comment

The more variations you have growing the more you have to choose from when formulating a meal. I have two or three variants of all the currant colours giving me a longer picking season. They are easy to grow,freeze well, are full of vitamin C and give a good crop to space ratio.

I luv em!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Blackcurrant gin!
            Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
            Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Redcurrant vinegar. Sounds wrong but is lovely. Esp on ice cream

Comment

Sparkling little jewel-like redcurrants straight off the bush are delicious.

Blackcurrants, not so: too tart. Best in jam or wine (I don't eat puddings)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

nice in a triffle,or cooked,cooled on icecream,and any fruit added to a stire fry is tasty to,lots of ways to use,sweet or sower,especially with added spice ext,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
                    I don't grow them but if I did......blackcurrant jam, redcurrant muffins, mixed fruit pie. I'm sure the list could be as long as you wanted it to be. They're rich in vitamin C and antioxidants too if I'm not mistaken.
                    Its no good waxing lyrical about them if you don't grow them - start now - go out and grab yourself some bushes!

Comment

Easy to propogate too. Just push some sticks in the ground and hey presto new bushes!
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

red currant jelly with cold meat is so yummy

Comment

Redcurrent jelly (not just cold meat, but to enrich gravy & stews and roast lamb without it (or gooseberry and mint jelly) is unthinkable)) crumble (eg with rubarb) , pie, ice cream/sorbet

Blackcurrent jam (delicious) jelly (the kind that you mould for children and grown ups as well as for spreading -delicious) tarts (delicious) , juice, ice cream/sorbets (delicious)

Comment

i have one each of redcurrant and blackcurrant, planted the weekend in pots to see what happens.

i didnt actually buy them tho, they came free with the fruit trees that i did want.

if they grow i shall try jam or vodka or something with them, failing that i am sure the chooks will eat them!

Comment

i donate mine to the local birds ..... it's quite sweet watching baby blackbirds being taught the art of pinching whitecurrants. I don't mind as I rescued the bush from the local dead section of the garden centre.
                              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X