Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillies and Peppers

Hi There,

Yes tonight folks i am hoping to get me Chillies and Peppers, Tomato seeds planted in my non heated propergator.

My question is do i really need a heated propergator or will they actually grow in a non heated one.

I am going to be growing them indoors on my window sill might test it out and save some if non sucessfull & order one online.

But wanted to get more experienced peoples feelings on this.

Cheers Novicejim.
    Last edited by novicejim; 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM.

It really depends on how warm your windowcill is!
    In my house it's chilly and they'd just rot in damp soil on the windowcill. I put my pots in the airing cupboard, check them every day and move them onto the windowcill when they've germinated. Good luck with them!

Comment

Thanks Vicky,

Thats not a bad idea but already can see the hassle lol but will rasie the idea.

I dont think she will like socks and seedlings lol in one place.

Cheers Novicejim

Comment

I always put my seeds in an unheated propergator on the window sill. They always terminate ok. Mind you
        Our kitchen window seems to be the warmest room in the house.

Why not try some in a heated propergator and some in an unheated one. Always good to experiment
        All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good beginner heated propergator please.
          Last edited by novicejim; 07-03-2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I like these cos as stuff germinates you can just remove the seed tray and put something else in it's place

Garland Super 7 Electric Windowsill Propagator - Garland Products Ltd - Garden, Pets & Wildlife - Growing - Grow Your Own - Propagators - Charlies Direct

you can buy them in a few places - not just from the link

Comment

Originally posted by novicejim View Post
              Thanks Vicky,

Thats not a bad idea but already can see the hassle lol but will rasie the idea.
              I dont think she will like socks and seedlings lol in one place.
              Cheers Novicejim
              Its a question of priorities - put your socks on the window sill. If they're anything like mine they could do with an airing!

Comment

Originally posted by chefgage View Post
                They always terminate ok.
                Heheh. I often have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by novicejim View Post
                  Can anyone recommend a good beginner heated propergator please.
                  Wilkinson's or B&Q do good cheap little heated props. Mine's from B&Q about Ģ13/Ģ14 if I remember rightly.
                  Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                  Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                  -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

This is what I did succesfully last year and just done again.

Guide to Growing Chilli Plants from Seed: The Chilli King | Chilli Plants | Chilli Seeds | Growing Tips | The Chilli King

Comment

Update

Well got home from work and got the compost out and me ASDA Ģ2 Propergator and planted:

Chillies
                      Peppers
                      Tomatoes
                      Rocket
                      Kale
                      Carrots

"Bet no one can tell i bought this months Grow Your Own"

Even went out and bought another ASDA propergator, didnt plant all me chillies peppers tomatoes so can have another go if we dont get any signs of life.

Thanks PMW if the ones i have planted are a no go i will be trying your link with me remaining seeds.

Also will check out those B&Q and Wilkinsons propergators

Cheers Novicejim

Comment

My propagators consists of 2 plastic meat trays from supermarket about 7'' x12'' one placed on top of the other (upside down). In the base I have 3 cherry tomato punnets planted with seeds (holes for drainage so can water into base). They are on the window sill of a conservatory (clear perspex roof). So far have 3 varieties of toms, parsley, coriander and mizuna sprouting. Hoping they won't get leggy as they are pretty much getting all the light they can at the moment. Have planted some pepper seeds but no show yet. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Not wanting to overdo things at the beginning of my venture into growing my own, I only sowed 4 chilli seeds - two Cayenne and two Jalapeņo, they went into multi-purpose compost in regular plastic plant pots and were each covered with a sandwich bag (makeshift propagator) and placed on the kitchen windowsill which is quite cool. Within ten days, all four had sprouted. Woohoo!

Maybe it's beginners luck but it worked, just have to see how they get on from here.
                          Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

i planted my pepper, chilli and tomato seeds about 2 weeks ago; didn't have a heated propagator but had read on here that putting the tray on top of kitchen units works -i gave it a bash and it did the job.

only problem i'm having as i put all three into 1 tray and the tomatoes germinated much more quickly and the seedling were touching the cover before the peppers had even started... guess it'll be time to take the toms out and replant deep so they don't end up too leggy

Comment

I have a large (12 full size seed trays) heated propagator that gets used to start all my early seeds as it is so damn cold up here. I have chillies (12 x Big Jim, 30 x Ring Of Fire and 50 x Basket of Fire) in it at the mo, with toms due to go in shortly. It does give everything a quick start to life but then you have the hassle of where to put it all once it's up and growing and neeeding potted on.
                              BTW, the 50 x Basket of Fire are for our local Gardening Club class at the local show in August - I'm growing them to distribute to the members later in the Spring.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X