Gooseberries & blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberries & blackcurrants

Will they grow together? My idea was to alternate gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes in the hope that it might confuse/reduce the aphids on the currants and the caterpillars on the gooseberries. Would it work, do you think?
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Might not reduce the pests, but otherwise there's no reason why not.

Comment

I don't see why they can't be grown together. Mine are.
      But I don't think it will make much difference to reduction in pests, unless you find that all the pests prefer one variety in particular (which is certainly true for apples).

Comment

ours are growing happy together,have had no problems,only the gooseberry spikes when picking the fruit,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

They will grow perfectly well together but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the pests

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            They will grow perfectly well together but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the pests
            Ah, well - another bright idea on the rubbish heap then
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              Ah, well - another bright idea on the rubbish heap then
              Compost the idea for recycling anotehr time - don't throw it away completely!

Comment

apparently certain bugs that like gooseberries don't like garlic, so growing some garlic around your gooseberries should keep those bugs away .... i grow garlic in pots and troughs all over my veggie patch, any spare space .... foxes always manage to knock things over tho ....
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Putting tin foil around the base of the currants nd on the soil is aparently mean to confuse pests. It also reflects light to. Was going to give this a try this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                    apparently certain bugs that like gooseberries don't like garlic, so growing some garlic around your gooseberries should keep those bugs away
                    I'm trying this out this year with my gooseberry and whitecurrant. Never did it before, so can't vouch whether it works yet. I'd also heard that broad beans may deter sawfly but last year's crop near the gooseberry didn't make any difference.
                    Last edited by elleme; 13-03-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                      apparently certain bugs that like gooseberries don't like garlic, so growing some garlic around your gooseberries should keep those bugs away .... i grow garlic in pots and troughs all over my veggie patch, any spare space .... foxes always manage to knock things over tho ....
                      Garlic wards off quite a few things other than vampires!!

AND you get to eat it afterwards...win win!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X