Topsy Turvey Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topsy Turvey Tomatoes

Hi, I have loads of flower buckets spare and was thinking of growing some upside down toms or any veg for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and with what success. As always, advice is greatfully received.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

I have enough trouble growing them the right way up Mally, but I'll be interested in the responses you get
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I saw a planter to grow upside down tomatoes yesterday...forgive my ignorance but...why???
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I tried them last year only cause i bought an upside down planter bag thingy at a bootsale no noticeable differance

Comment

i tried last year but it didn't last that long.. a strong wind snap the tomatoes plant and when you water the water was damping the stem and i think that made the plant weak...maybe because i'm new to garden i did somethin wrong....

Comment

from the reviews ive heard the toms try to grow upwards anyway (when planted upside down), so you would end up with a bent 'u' shaped tomato stem!

Comment

The biggest problem in growing topsy turvery is the need for constant watering in the summer months, and tomatoes dying early. Remember, the soil bag only holds about 11 quarts in one of these hanging planters, so the root system is not going to be huge. Don’t expect a full sized cherry tomato plant that’s grown to be 6 or 7 feet long with dozens of tomatoes on it to be supported by that small root bag. The original design of the Topsy Turvy had some water retention rings in it to address the need for watering, but that’s apparently been taken out over the last few years, probably as a cost savings.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.....I looked at various vids on utube last night and must admit I was quite impressed at what I saw. One thing that did puzzle me was one of the guys emphacized making sure the planter was full to the top with soil as when he looked at his half filled planter, roots were growing out of the top........still can't get my head round that one.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
                  from the reviews ive heard the toms try to grow upwards anyway (when planted upside down), so you would end up with a bent 'u' shaped tomato stem!
                  You are right that what happen to me. It tried to reach the light so I had this u shape plant and with a strong wind just snapped. Never again

Comment

Thanks, so it looks like toms are out of the question. Any other veggies worth a go? or just forget the whole idea.

Comment

Flower buckets for Toms good idea gives the roots space to spreadout.
                      As for upside down Tom's forget it!!

paul.
                      Help Wildlife.
                      Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

BM are you considering this just for fun or do you want to grow on a wall to save space?

I use ordinary hanging baskets for my Tumbler with great success.

Colin
                        Attached Files
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          BM are you considering this just for fun or do you want to grow on a wall to save space?

I use ordinary hanging baskets for my Tumbler with great success.

Colin
                          Just for fun and curiosity really as I picked up some trailing toms so was thinking of putting the toms in the bottom and maybe petunias in the top.

Comment

This is a daft question (just for a change)!
                            Are you talking about Morrison type flower buckets?
                            If so:- what size hole would you cut in the bottom for the tomato plant:
                            how do you stop the soil falling out:
                            how do you hang up the bucket?
                            I feel I''m missing something crucial here!

Lateral thinking kicking in now - could you put the holes in the sides of the bucket and plant a couple of tomatoes in it. Then petunias ofrwhatever in the top - and sit the pot on a wall or solid base?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              This is a daft question (just for a change)!
                              Are you talking about Morrison type flower buckets?
                              If so:- what size hole would you cut in the bottom for the tomato plant:
                              how do you stop the soil falling out:
                              how do you hang up the bucket?
                              I feel I''m missing something crucial here!

Lateral thinking kicking in now - could you put the holes in the sides of the bucket and plant a couple of tomatoes in it. Then petunias ofrwhatever in the top - and sit the pot on a wall or solid base?
                              Was toying around with both ideas, bottom and side planting, holes would be about 2" diameter, push the plant through the hole, secure it from the inside with some kind of slitted collar maybe cardboard as you would use for cabbage root fly. The flower bucket would have wire fastened round the top and a wire handle attached. Hope that makes sense..........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X