Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i plant out shallots and garlic now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i plant out shallots and garlic now?

Just found a little brown bag of shallots and garlic i saved from last year.
    Would it be ok to plant out now as it's a lovely sunny day out there and my new veg patch is crying out for a bit of activity?

yep the shallots can go in now and so can the garlic, however people normally put them in at the end of the season to overwinter as this helps the cloves of the garlic to seperate - if you plant them now theres a chance of you only getting just one big garlic clove - but its worth a try.

thanks
    matt

Comment

Get them if you have the space.

Comment

I Planted my Golden gourmet sets from poundland on saturday and covered them with some fleece just to be sure.
        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

So long as they feel nice and firm it's definitely still worth planting up, they might well be late / smaller but that's better than nothing unless you need to space for something else.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks everyone,think i have a bit of space for them so i will bung in and see what happens.

Comment

From my experience it doesn't matter what you do with shallots - they will romp away wheerever and whenever they are planted.

Comment

My shallots are planted in five seedtrays in the greenhouse. I have planted them out in February before but they seemed to stand still for ages. This way they already have roots and will be planted out with hopefully a good bit of root, in March.

Gardening is always an ongoing experiment for me!
                Last edited by Snadger; 21-02-2012, 07:02 PM.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My overwintering shallots & garlic sets went into root trainers in late October. I planted them out last weekend and they had roots 3-4in long & hardly any top growth. I did this last season with great results & would really recommend it.
                  My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    My shallots are planted in five seedtrays in the greenhouse. I have planted them out in February before but they seemed to stand still for ages. This way they already have roots and will be planted out with hopefully a good bit of root, in March.

Gardening is always an ongoing experiment for me!
                    i do this with shallots and onions
                    found it helped transfering with larger roots and clean soil with the white rot problems i have

Comment

Don't have any overwintering shallots but my garlic is planted direct in late autumn. My spring shallots were put in modules last weekend in the cold greenhouse for planting out in a few weeks time as usual.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X