Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing Swiss Chard from season to season??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Swiss Chard from season to season??

Hello everyone,

I still have 12 swiss chard plants growing very happily outdoor in my raised beds,
    can these plants continue to grow, or should they be replaced with new plants this season???

Many thanks
    UG

i think im right in saying that swiss chard is a perenial - so it comes back every year.

Comment

I leave mine to its own devices. Its just been knocked for six by the frost but I'm sure it will resprout. It self seeds if you leave it to flower too. If you want young tender leaves for salads it best to have young plants. If you're cooking the leaves it really doesn't matter how old the plant is..

Comment

I've been putting new ones in each year, leave them over winter and spring, then replace, but onyl because i keep moving them around the place.

Comment

Mine takes a battering over winter then picks up in spring.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ooh I didn't know they're perennials... I might go nab a plant off the lottie next to mine that's become available. The last owners told me I could help myself, before they cleared off last weekend. Shame to see them go (and it made me want to move allotment!! LOL
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
              i think im right in saying that swiss chard is a perenial - so it comes back every year.
              No, it's a biennial. It grows in year one, then will bolt and seed in year two. However, it happily self-seeds, so if you let it go to seed you'll have chard forever

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              Ooh I didn't know they're perennials... I might go nab a plant off the lottie next to mine
              They don't transplant well: you'd get away with it with a small baby plant, but not a mature one
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

well in a way they come back every year - by self seeding! hahaha

Comment

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for all your replies and comments.

I'M off to B&M to buy all the new seed collections that are in,
                  fancy the allotment pack specials.

Comment

I didn't know B&M do seeds! I might have to go look at lunch time tomorrow

TS, thanks for that - I won't bother, since I realised I planted about 20 seeds the other day, and that'll be plenty LOL
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

And garlic/onion sets and even Raspberry/Blackcurrant canes and, as you'd imagine, cheap as chips. If the canes packaging wasn't in greek i might have bought one or two.

Comment

yeh i even bought a blueberry plant from b&m the other day, i think they where £1.79 each or 2 for £3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X